A Little Prob with Pro Audio 9.03

rayc

retroreprobate
Hi,
I've been using PA 9.03 for a little while & have a silly prob. I've looked through the manual & through help numerous times but can't find out how to cut out a few bars from across all tracks in a project.
The simplest prob is an error on my part where I somehow managed to leave 100 measures blank before beginning recording & left it there during subsequent session. It's no real major prob. except that I don't have much of a hard drive (only 4Gig) as a result I try to be economical including, when I'm putting a project aside for a while, burning a bundle to CDR.
I assume I'm searching using the wrong words: edit & cut don't lead me anywhere useful.
I've taught myself automation after flirting with snapshot (which caused a few crashes) & am pretty happy with the program - I'm running under W98 with almost nothing else loaded onto the machine except a wave editor (Waverepair) & I only really record audio (but am looking at trialing a midi guitar pickup ensemble that I was given) & often I upload basic tracks recorded on tape so I'm a happy chappy except for the one prob.
Would anyone care to enlighten me or point me to the right help word?
Cheers in advance
rayC

If it's anything like the Homestudio series, you can click on a part on each track (the place indicator should move to that point) and look for a "split" feature, it will split the track into to seperate parts, then just delete the unwanted section, if you split them all at the same point, you can just drag them to the beginning. I'm not familiar with PA, just a thought until someone more experienced comes along. GL

Recalling how to do things in PA9 is like recalling the name of my first grade treacher... :)

Anyway, I am pretty sure you should be able to Select All the tracks. Then drag your cursor in the timeline area of Track View to select all the measures you want to delete. If you've done this right, the section of the song that you want deleted should be highlighted for ALL the tracks.

Now use the delete command (Edit > Delete I think). You should get a popup window where you can set the parameters for the delete. Make sure the checkbox Delete Hole is checked, and click OK. It should remove the unwanted sections and slide the rest of the project over to the first measure.

Since my memory isn't what it used to be (and it never was that good to begin with :) ) I suggest you backup the project before embarking on this. However, it should work without any problems.

Thanks folks,
I'll try those suggestions later this morning after I've snoozed 1st though - it's 1.40am down here.
By the way where is the garden state - down here it's Victoria imm. south of NSW?
Again ta
Cheers
rayC

dachay pretty much told it. However, I don't recall a "delete hole" option. What I do is just drag and drop all tracks OR, more commonly, use the "Slide" command.

AGCurry said:
dachay pretty much told it. However, I don't recall a "delete hole" option. What I do is just drag and drop all tracks OR, more commonly, use the "Slide" command.
Delete Hole is actually the option that completely removes the measures from the project - rather than just removing the content of the measures. In essence you could think of it is a combination of delete and slide.

The Garden State is New Jersey. It's actually the state motto (slogan?), although the state is probably 95% paved. :D We go back and forth with Massachusetts for the most densely populated state in the U.S. I live about 30 miles south of New York City.

HI FOLKS,
I'm back to report success. Well mixed success. Both recommendations work.
I had a little prob with the select all version in that it did beautifully for all tracks except the basic tracks I'd recorded from my 4 track tape. These tracks (2) were deleted completely. I just pressed undo & they were back again but it presented a probem that I'll still have to nut out.
I then employed the split tracks option - individually on each track & then followed up with delete individually & it worked a treat.
Thank you both. I now know my software quite a bit better.
Next I'll attempt to figure out how to do similar but in smaller increments than the meaures at the top of the screen.
Thank you heaps & pots.
Cheers
rayC

Using the method I stated above, the only way I have found to get specific points, is to highlight a track then click a measure before the point, and hit play, and stop as close to the point I want, (pretty easy to hit it dead on) don't click inside the section where the tracks are after you hit stop, then go to edit and hit "split". That's what I do anyway.

Back