Kontakt (SSD), Sonar, separate channel routing - Help!

maximusbs

Brad Smith Music
It seems simple. I just want my new, nice sounding SSD midi grooves to go from Kontakt to about 10 separate AUDIO channels in Sonar so I can mix them. I follow the general manual guidelines, but each Sonar track turns into a midi track when I change the input to a Kontakt channel. I never could figure it out using EZ Drummer (I used to just solo an instrument and bounce to tracks, 8 times, what a pain!), I thought things might be easier with SSD.
Please Help in you can.
:D

When you insert Kontakt, make sure to check "all synth audio outputs" either mono or stereo depending what you want.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 32
Also for EZ Drummer, here is a link from Gatortracks that walks specifically through how to set it up. Just scroll down a bit to get to it. Should be a very similar process for SSD. I have EZ drummer set up this way and saved it as a template so one click loads it up just right. That's why I am having trouble remembering how I set up. It was a while ago.
http://www.gatortraks.com/forum/index.php?topic=26.0

Thanks for the info washburn!
It looks like I was on the right track. I had 10+ midi tracks with inputs from each of the instruments in Kontakt. But I thought I wanted AUDIO tracks. Don't you need audio tracks to eq, add effects and mix each drum track in Sonar?

Hum, When you check all stereo audio outs (or mono), this should be inserting audio tracks, not midi tracks. Go through the EZ Drummer setup in the link. The SSD setup should be very similar.

The Kontak and Sonar documentation do a lousy job of describing what you're trying to do. Here's my attempt to explain it.

As was mentioned above when you insert the soft synth you need to select all synth outputs. You can work around it if you don't but it's a bunch more work.

For each instrument you plan to play you need a midi and audio track. You record the midi information to the midi track. That midi track needs to be routed out to Kontakt. Make sure you route it out a specific channel (#1-16). In Kontakt you load an instrument patch you want to use. Make sure the midi channel in the patch matches the output you chose in on the sonar track.

Also in the Kontakt patch make sure the audio output is going to a specific stereo out (labeled st. # in Kontakt).
Then in sonar pick the audio track that will match that sound. Make the Sonar track input match the Kontakt output. Done!

Sounds complicated in writing but once you make it work once it's a breeze. The trick is to not have to do it more than once or twice. I have synth template files setup in Sonar for all the software synth setups I use regularly. Then it's one click and ready to go so I can create.

Hope that helps a little

Charlie
www.intuneaudio.ca

Thank you guys very much for your help. You guys are dead-on, it's me who's a little off. I keep wanting to see 11+ audio tracks just like the guitar or vocals or anything else, but I wont see that when there are MIDI inputs (I think). I can put any vst effect I want to in these tracks, SO, they ARE what I wanted, I just didn't know it. Whenever I'm ready, all I have to to do is 'bounce to tracks' and I can have 11+ little waveforms. I'm an old dog, these new tricks are tricky :eek:
Thanks again - in tune and washburn for your time!
u rok!

I have a kind of love/hate thing going on with Sonar. I've been using it so long, I can do amazing things with it, but I also get so frustrated trying to do new things with it that I know it can do. Almost sold everything after a night of "drum mapping" and don't get me started about "ACT"

Problem is, I've tried demos osf lots of other DAWS and I just can't stomach learning a new one. I loved the new Presonus Studio 1, but I have to start from the beginning. I do use Samplitude for some mastering and CD burning stuff. It's awesome, but when I try to do some good old tracking/mixing/editing, I'm back at ground zero again.

Looks like Sonar has me hooked. I also have a Roland VG-99 that I've only scratched the surface on as far as all of it's capabilities. There just isn't enough time in a day after I'm done smokin and drinkin to get any equipment learnin done!

PS: Really don't get me started on Pro Tools or I'll rant for hours!

LOL! Yea, I've sunk a few days into Pro Tools before! You would think these DAWs would speak a similar language, in fact, they might.....but I just don't have the brain cells left to climb those learning curves anymore! I'm a school teacher for cryin-out-loud, I can't be expected to LEARN stuff!! :eek: Interestingly, my little learning stunt with SSD seems to have killed my Vintage Channel plugin :confused: and my Sonar is dropping out and crashing all the time!
Cheers!
:drunk:

Dam, sorry to hear that. I love Vintage Channel. Took a while to warm up to it, but it is awesome once you get used to it.

As far as your new problems, are you running 32 bit or 64 bit Sonar, and which version of Sonar.

Usually crashing is a VST mismatch thing. Let me know and I'll see if I can give you some suggesions.

Back