It's back !!!

Here's the press release for those interested:

BandLab Technologies Announces Acquisition of Cakewalk Inc. Assets >> BandLab Blog

BandLab Technologies Announces Acquisition of Cakewalk Inc. Assets

BandLab Technologies today announced the acquisition of certain assets and the complete intellectual property of Cakewalk Inc. from Gibson Brands.

CEO of BandLab Technologies, Meng Ru Kuok said, “We are very excited to be bringing Cakewalk Inc’s products into the BandLab Technologies stable. Cakewalk has been an industry leader in professional music software, delivering cutting edge technology that has empowered producers and artists alike around the world for more than 30 years. We have immense respect for Cakewalk’s legacy and the incredible community of people who love the brand and rely on its products in both their personal and professional lives.

“The teams at both Gibson and BandLab felt that Cakewalk’s products deserved a new home where development could continue. We are pleased to be supporting Cakewalk’s passionate community of creators to ensure they have access to the best possible features and music products under the BandLab Technologies banner,” he said.

The deal includes only the transfer of Cakewalk Inc.’s assets and intellectual property. No other details of the deal have been released. More information will be shared about product roadmap and future features in due course.

For more information, visit BandLab Technologies x Cakewalk | Important Announcement.

About BandLab Technologies

BandLab Technologies is a collective of global music brands with a vision to connect the world of music.

Together, our brands share a passion. We’re driven by integrating the physical, digital and social supply chain, to enable better experiences, opportunities, and connections for all music lovers.

BandLab, the group’s flagship digital product, is a social music platform that enables creators to make music and share the creative process with other musicians and fans. Other notable brands within the portfolio include Rolling Stone, the world’s leading voice in pop culture and music since 1967, MONO, an award-winning music lifestyle product company, and Swee Lee, Asia’s leading online retailer and distributor of musical instruments and pro-audio brands.

Established in 2016, BandLab Technologies is headquartered in Singapore.

About Cakewalk Inc.

Cakewalk is the leading developer of powerful and thoughtfully designed products for the modern musician. These products include award-winning digital audio workstations and innovative virtual instruments. Millions of musicians worldwide—including Grammy® and Emmy®-winning producers, composers, sound designers, and engineers—use Cakewalk products daily to produce audio for the professional music, film, broadcast, and video game industries.

Thanks !!! That’s great news to me. I’ve always used and loved Sonar from version 8 up...and now Sonar Pro. I still had a few months left of support that I lost, but it’s great to hear there may still be an upgrade path in the future !!!
Mike C.

I was tempted to move on to something else after they announced they were closing shop, but I never did. Hopefully there's something at the end of this rainbow for my (licensed Sonar X3 user).

Yes, I thought I would have to move on too. Mine is the latest Sonar Pro, with the last update. It seems like there should be an upgrade path for both of us...hopefully !!! As a matter of fact, it’s why I joined this forum...to start searching for an alternative DAW. I would really rather play music than have to waste a bunch of time learning program...not that I play that well any more at all...lol I quit playing, and closed my case for good in 1992. Then, about 8yrs ago I was curious about my “new” 1991 Am Strat Dlx strings. So, I changed the strings...and I’ve been playing ever since.
Let’s just say...I’m not so hot. But I am having fun with all this new equipment that’s emerged since I quit ;). I never sold any of my old gear, I just bought all new stuff...hahaha
Thanks for the good news, Pinky !!!
Mike C.

I got an email from BandLab this morning wanting me to register with them. Thought I'd check here to make sure it wasn't some type of scam. Glad to see it's not.

I wasn't planning on switching, and would have milked my Sonar X3 until it was bone dry. Happy to see it's lived to fight another day.

I just signed up too.

My last version was X2, but I wasn't that thrilled about it, I liked SONAR 6 better. Too much stuff going on, I prefer something a little simpler.

That being said, I'm not buying another DAW any time soon.

I'm so relieved, tempered by a little trepidation over the future in terms of how the new Sonar will look, feel, and develop. At this stage I'm just mightily relieved as although I use Studio One from time to time (for non-MIDI projects) and have tried some other DAWs in the last few weeks, I found them all very lacking up against Sonar.

I'm so relieved, tempered by a little trepidation over the future in terms of how the new Sonar will look, feel, and develop. At this stage I'm just mightily relieved as although I use Studio One from time to time (for non-MIDI projects) and have tried some other DAWs in the last few weeks, I found them all very lacking up against Sonar.

The good news for us is that until just a few months ago Cakewalk was alive and well. I'm going to assume they'll be able to at least pickup where they left off in terms of current product sales and support, as well as continue any product development that was taking place behind the scenes. Had there been a couple years gap between closure and acquisition, I'd be more pessimistic.

Back