Increasing the Volume

Bradley Tanogna

Hey all,

I'm running an Omni pre-amp, to a delta-66, to Sonar 4. Whenever I export a song to mp3, it always ends up sounding to soft, despite the fact that both the soundcard and sonar levels are just below red-lining.

Is there any step where I can boost the volume so that the final exported file will be louder?

I run a parametric eq with a 200hz hi pass set at band notch/boost on the master fader.

I don't know if this is the best thing, but it works for me...

You can try compressing your final mix and boosting th makeup gain.
This will bring the quieter passages up closer to th loud passages and increase the apparant volume

you may want to "calibrate" a bit: create a short piece that has the levels you want in SONAR. then save it as a WAV file and an MP3 file. listen to the WAV file in whatever audio player you have. Does it sound the same? too low? check your audio player settings - make sure your audio is being output on the same monitors you used with SONAR. Make sure you turn off all your effects on the audio player (WOW, etc...). Now it should sound pretty much the same as it did in SONAR. If not, there is still something wrong in the audio player configuration or something weird in SONAR - try importing the WAV file into a new SONAR file and see if you still have the defect. if not, then the WAV output processing is OK.

Once you get the WAV and SONAR sounding pretty much alike, test the MP3 file. Is there a significant volume difference? if so, you may have to make some adjustments to the way you're processing the MP3 output - someone suggested cutting bass, that can help alot because MP3 processing has to make certain decisions on the signal and a lot of bass can confuse it. Maybe try another converter. I use WinLAME and do not find a significant level difference between the WAV or the MP3 versions.

HTH

If you do need to export to MP3 directly from Sonar you can use a limiter (loudness maximizer) such as the Waves L1 Ultramaximizer or the L2 as the last processor on your output bus. I like the L2. Bear in mind you shouldn't overdo it because you could lose dynamics and add audible distortion to the stereo mix. Same goes with standard compressors.

Loudness!

Hey I have been in the home-recording college for a few years. Home schooling can be tough! One thing it has taken me a long time learn is the key to achieving loudness. Here it is: When you export your mixes from SONAR to two track wave or MP3 files set your mixes to peak at around -12 to -6dbs. This will give you plenty of head room to increase your loudness with minimal distortion in a wave editing program like Wavelab or Soundforge. If you push your tracks and bus channels to 0dbs and beyond 9 times out of 10 you will introduce distortion and unwanted artifacts into your mixes and suck up precious head room to boost your volume during final mastering. It is also important to make sure you have a well sonically balance mix before you export from sonar ie; drums, hats synth, guitars, vocals in there proper place within your mix. Don't be afraid to roll off bass on higher frequency sounds (like hats, strings or vocals) to reduce the possibilty that these components could possibly be sucking up head room in your mix reducing it's overall loudness and clarity. Perfecting this will take trial and error. Of course this is just my opinion but it seems to works for my stuff that get's played in the night clubs I DJ at.
But like I said I'm still in home-recording college so this could be a little off...

JUSTwanted to add MY 2 cent

Back