how do I convert mapped midi drums to audio (wav)

cubiannishar

HI

Please help.. Is there any easier and faster way to convert my mapped midi drums to audio each instrument on a single track. Well this is what I have done I have recorded bass, guitars, vocals on different tracks and mapped the entire drum groove on a single track now I need this to be converted to audio each instrument to a separate track so that I can mix properly.

I aslo tried soloing one instrument (say kick drum) then re-recording it on an armed track but this kick's sound recorded on the armed track is too soft not loud enough to be mixed with the rest of the tracks

Thanks a lot

cubiannishar@yahoo.com

You need to record the midi tracks to an audio track.
-> Create a new audio track, set the audio source to the correct sound card source.
-> Mute all the tracks except the midi track you want to record and the new audio track.
-> Click record mode on new audio track.
-> Click the record button at the top.
If you get an annoying click on the recorded track, you need to turn off the metronome in options, project.

Select the midi track and the soft-synth audio track.
Then do File/Bounce to Tracks......no recording neccessary.
This feature sums the two tracks and creates a third audio track.
You might then archive the first two or delete them altogether.

Ok, I've gone from confused to straight dumbfounded...

It seems like you're asking how to get each individual drum onto a seperate track... (like a bd track, a hh track, etc), right?

It also looks like you're using a midi module (not a softsynth), like either what's on your sound card, or externally.

If this is the case, read on... if not, don't waste your time...

OK,

It's kind of tedious, but it will work.

The first thing you have to do is remember that the following steps are whatever higher power exhists' way of punishing you for not recording each drum to a seperate midi track (you can do it all on one channel, but seperate tracks, and that's how you should have done it to begin with). So, first we have to fix that...

1. Create an empty track on the same midi channel as your original drum track.
  2. Bring up the staff view for the track, and select all the notes that correspond with your drum for that track... we'll call this one high hat... so select all your high hat open, and all your high hat closed notes (just draw a box around them)
  3. copy those notes, and paste them into the new track
  4. rinse and repeat for each instrument
  5. now create an audio track for each drum
  6. record them (if they're too quiet to get a good recording... either get a mixer and amp it up, or apply effects to boost the gain - like compressor, limiter, and gate)
  7. mix away

Hope this helps. I know it's tedious, but you're on the right track wanting to isolate each drum sound... it's the right way to mix!

Ok, I've gone from confused to straight dumbfounded...

It seems like you're asking how to get each individual drum onto a seperate track... (like a bd track, a hh track, etc), right?

It also looks like you're using a midi module (not a softsynth), like either what's on your sound card, or externally.

If this is the case, read on... if not, don't waste your time...

OK,

It's kind of tedious, but it will work.

The first thing you have to do is remember that the following steps are whatever higher power exhists' way of punishing you for not recording each drum to a seperate midi track (you can do it all on one channel, but seperate tracks, and that's how you should have done it to begin with). So, first we have to fix that...

1. Create an empty track on the same midi channel as your original drum track.
  2. Bring up the staff view for the track, and select all the notes that correspond with your drum for that track... we'll call this one high hat... so select all your high hat open, and all your high hat closed notes (just draw a box around them)
  3. copy those notes, and paste them into the new track
  4. rinse and repeat for each instrument
  5. now create an audio track for each drum
  6. record them (if they're too quiet to get a good recording... either get a mixer and amp it up, or apply effects to boost the gain - like compressor, limiter, and gate)
  7. mix away

Hope this helps. I know it's tedious, but you're on the right track wanting to isolate each drum sound... it's the right way to mix!

If you do need to separate the midi drum parts before converting to audio, there is an easier way.

-Select the midi track
-On the Process menu (at bottom) select "RunCal"
-open the "Split note to track" CAL and follow the prompts.

That will split the individual drum parts to tracks automatically

Back