HELP...no output on midi playback using Sonar 8 +Motu audio Express

WeejeC

Just installed sonar 8 producer on my Win 7 desktop using Motu Audio Express interface. Am able to record midi track from keyboard, can hear it and metronome as it goes down but cannot hear it in playback. What am I doing wrong?

Win 7
Sonar 8P pro
Motu Audio Express

What keyboard are you using, and where is the sound coming from that you can hear when you record it.

Most likely you will have to direct the output of the recorded midi track back to the keyboard to hear its sounds. Or you need to add a virtual instrument to the the recorded track so that the mid plays that instrument.

Midi by itself has no sound. It is just a set of instructions: which note to play and for how long.

Thanks Mr. Grumpy...am using a Korg Triton. Audio is coming through speakers via Motu Audio Express--computer sound,(tested YouTube and mp3s on file) is coming through same speakers. Sonar's metronome is coming through speakers as well as Triton keyboard when recording on Sonar. Hearing everything fine. It's just in playback--I see the signal on the VU meters but hear nothing. Have looked everywhere for some kind of drop down, have checked output settings...nothing is working.

Have also tried using virtual sounds from sonar--like grand piano. Am seeing midi signal on the Motu, but it's not sending midi back to keyboard, AND I'm also not able to hear it through the virtual keyboard on the Sonar.

I understand about midi not being "notes" but virtual "fingers". What's not happening is the midi signal is either not reaching my keyboard or the virtual keyboard and I can't seem to find the right buttons to push to make the midi signals to play either virtual or Triton key sound. Am using midi channel one. Have plugged midi cables out/in on both motu and Triton to each other.

When I record the keyboard on a regular channel, (not a midi channel) on Sonar, it plays back beautifully. I just can't quantize it because it's a wav file. Need to be able to use the midi to use quantize.

I don't use Sonar, so maybe a Sonar expert will chime in.

But it seems like a set up problem in Sonar. Maybe you have to do something in Sonar to select the Motu as an output device.

Yeah...I've looked at Sonar set up--everything is cool except for midi playback. Then gone to Motu to see if there is something I'm missing in the midi set up there. Wondering if it's the driver, or...even checked computer settings before realizing, no, preferences have all been set to Motu....Sigh. This definitely puts a hitch in the creative flow...

Back