Having problems with playback

raywon

Studio 1784
ASUS Lap top X200CA, 4 gig Ram/ External Hard drive- 1 TB/Windows 8.0/ 256gb SSD/ Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface/ Rode Mic/ Fostex 8” 3 way monitors/ Semheiser HD Pro closed back headphone/ Voice Tone Harmony- G-XT/Music Software- Sonar X1 producer/ Editing software Sound Forge 10.

Hi In sonar X1 after I record and playback my computer makes a loud humming noise and then I hit the stop button and hit play again then it playback normal. I wonder do I need to install more ram. Please advise.

Thanks!!!

4 gigs of RAM should be sufficient unless you're loading tons of samples and/or have a sh$tload of VSTs/VSTIs loaded in your project. Is this happening with only a single track? Has it always happened or has this humming just started? And does this happen with every project? [edit]I use X3 and this happens to me sometimes, but rarely.[/edit]

Timbo

To me it sounds like something in your computer is causing a delay in getting your DAW exclusive access to the interface. Do you have any other sound devices enabled? Try disabling everything but the 2i2.

I assume you're using the ASIO drivers? These are the best for Sonar work. What is Sonar reporting as the effective latency in driver settings?

Are you inserting any VSTs into the track when recording? Does it happen with no effects applied to the track, just a raw line recording?

There's also a latency checker (free download from somewhere) that, while I don't think latency is the direct cause, is a good test of whether your system is exhibiting other issues. Symptom of a bigger problem. A system memory test might be on order as well.

Chipset/motherboard drivers, disabled network card/wireless, etc... list of possible things to try based on your symptoms is relatively long.

Loud hum sounds usually come from bad grounding of your equipment. You may want to check microphone cables, guitar cables for good connection and try with and without the power supply plugged into your laptop.

Glen

I would reinstall sonar. sounds like a daw problem. I just bought a new pc and made **** sure I didn't get win8 ! No problems with win 7. I noticed from your last post , you just replaced your hard drive and reloaded your daw.. Sounds like you've picked up a glitch somewhere.. Good luck.. MS

Back