Has anybody upgraded to Windows 10?

fuzzsniffvoyage

I'm using Sonar Platinum, and am thinking of upgrading to Windows 10. (I use 7)

The reason is I would like to start using a touch screen monitor as a control surface.

I've looked and can't find anything posted recently on the net about the subject. (Just older stuff with Windows 8)

I was just about to upgrade when I read something about privacy issues and Microsoft's default values. I don't feel safe upgrading anymore.

I might image my c: drive to a spare hard drive and upgrade that one. That way, I'll have the free upgrade before it expires but can continue to use Win7 until I find out all the dirty details of Microsoft's espionage.

The touch screen controller sounds cool, but we include one with some of our products and I find myself using the mouse more. ymmv yadda yadda yadda

The privacy issue, MS is just gong closer to Google and Apple from what I understand. However, when you upgrade, take the customer selection, then when prompted. there are a few questions in regard to tracking you can just turn off.

Really, even by default, it is not as bad as what is on most phones, but you can really cut it off during installation.

if you do try it clone your operating system partition first !!!

apart from all the privacy issues (micropoo being able to delete files off your drive,having copies of your files,reading emails and private info e.t.c) ive read nothing but bad posts from people that have upgraded and regretted later .. missing files,weird stuff happening,software not working,licensing errors,stuff breaking a few days later,and that's not including corporate peeps that wont touch it with a barge pole .. the list goes on and on,every day people are posting their switching back ..

don't rely on rolling back cos that doesn't work well either !

I upgraded two desktop machines at home, haven't had a single problem. It was a painless update, and I like the OS so far.

There is some misinformation and misunderstanding out there about the privacy policy. The only thing that MS can touch is stuff that you save to OneDrive, and they can only do that under subpoena, or if they think that you're committing fraud or things like that. Same thing with Apple's cloud, Google's cloud, Amazon's cloud, Dell's cloud...standard stuff for using a cloud drive.

I have a buddy that was a tech guy for NBC and now Google. His opinion?
Windows 7. Stay away from every thing past that.

Good enough advice for me.
:-)

I have a buddy that was a tech guy for NBC and now Google. His opinion?
Windows 7. Stay away from every thing past that.

Good enough advice for me.
:-)

Coming from a guy who works for Google? The most snooping software out there and you trust that guy? MS is only starting to move into the direction (and really not as bad) as Google. Your source wouldn't be good enough for me.

Win10, 2 computers so far, one minor issue that a repair install cured in less than 2 minutes.

Hahaha. He's a friend first. (for decades)

Just cause he has a good gig doesn't mean he is part of the snoop conspiracy. Just the opinion of someone tech savvy.
:D

I tell people "Unless you have a reason, stick with Win7/8 until things get fleshed out." There's a lot that can go wrong in an upgrade, and there's a lot of moving parts in what we do with our computers (ie - interfacing between software and the operating system). Windows 10 isn't a revolution in redesign, so the general rule of "if it works in windows 8, then it will work in windows 10" applies, but isn't a guarantee.

For a touch screen interface, well it would depend on how much you actually expect to use it. You're recording now without it? Probably not critical. I'd hold off.

ANY new anything is a bad idea. Always wait a bit for issues to be found and fixed. No need to rush into being their guinea pig.

Anecdotal observations thus far - Windows 10 is okay, and for most people the upgrade is seamless. But when it goes wrong, it can really go wrong. I'll eventually upgrade a cheap spare win7 laptop I have, but even as just a spare I'm holding out until July 2016 (just before the free upgrade is over).

I've only noticed a few hiccups. I upgraded one machine from 8.1, and the other from Win7. On both machines, several settings were reset during the upgrade. Things like system sounds, desktop theme, video and audio settings. On my audio machine, it seems bound and determined to show me notifications from a birthday calendar it must have lifted from my Facebook page. I was able to turn this off for my gaming machine, but damned if it isn't still letting me know whose birthday is today every time I go to record. Annoying, but far from disastrous.

I need to remember to disable Cortana and all of that stuff on my audio machine. It's not harming anything, but I have no interest in using it on that machine. It's kinda novel on my gaming machine to randomly ask Cortana dumb things. So far, she only seems capable of finding things that I could've found with 1 or 2 mouse clicks. Anything else and she just shows me Bing search results.

Me: Hey Cortana...Kansas City Chiefs
Cortana: *shows Bing results about Kansas City cheese*
Me: Damnit! mmmm...cheese...

I run Sonar on 2 different computers - my main DAW is still on Win 7, the other I've upgraded to Win 10 and so far, Sonar runs like a dream on it

When I did I lost my sound completly, tried updating sound drivers. Nothing worked. Microsoft gave no help. Went back to Windows 8.1. Had to redo a lot. That was on my laptop so I wont try my desktop where I do all my recording..

Well it doesn't matter for me. Microsoft's' automated up-grader tells me my version of windows is not eligible for the free upgrade.

My Dell laptop (quad Core i7)and Dell desktop (i5) both perform MUCH better with Win10. You can Google several articles about adjusting your privacy settings.

I'm very happy with the upgrade. SONAR seems to work better and quicker.

So I upgraded to Windows 10 last week.

So far, no problems with Sonar.

I did the custom install and elected not to use many of the new features in 10 like the storage cloud and their automatic updates and what not.

But Google Chrome...........lots of issues.

WINDOWS 10 OPERATING SYSTEM NOTIFICATION
The correct operation of the full, public release of Windows 10 is not yet verified by our development and test departments. As a result, support for Windows 10 is not currently offered for Lexicon digital hardware, software applications, or third-party proprietary software used with our products. We cannot confirm a date for providing support for Windows 10, but note that full software testing and verification is underway.

To keep your system working normally with the affected products, Lexicon strongly recommends waiting before upgrading your operating system to Windows 10 until full software testing and verification has been completed.

I've been using Lexicon's MPX Native VST hosted in Reaper for a few months now in Windows 10 with no issues. It made the transition as smoothly as everything else in my studio. Damn I love that reverb plug. That's been one of the best investments I've ever made.

And Fuzz, what issues did you have with Chrome? Just like all of my other stuff, Chrome has been a smooth transition to Win10.

Back