Goodbye Sonar.

Fwiw, this could just be Gibson's way of putting the brand up for sale. I'm sure they've gotten a number of serious inquiries to buy the product line since the announcement. There's no real reason to get rid of Sonar, it's a fine product and people are buying/using it. It just might have grown too big for Gibson to manage or want to deal with. A smaller software company might do fine with the meager revenue stream, as their one and only product. Gibson doesn't have a lot of software options in their portfolio, so when they bought it I'm sure they figured they would share some of the development and support costs with what they already had but that may not have panned out.

I've been a Cakewalk user since X1, moved over to Studio One recently, seems really stable, and I was about to buy a Presonus Faderport 16 anyway, so when I seen a 50% off to previous Cakewalk owners, it was a no-brainer.
The only thing I don't like, is the track/arranger view, looks crap compared to my Sonar Platinum, since I uploaded and tweaked some ThemeEditor files.
Can't win them all I guess.

Hi, as a sonar user for years i've been trying studio one 3, the cheapest paid version, prime i believe? anyway, are you able to load any 3rd party plugins? or 64bit i should say?

I've been a Cakewalk user since X1, moved over to Studio One recently, seems really stable, and I was about to buy a Presonus Faderport 16 anyway, so when I seen a 50% off to previous Cakewalk owners, it was a no-brainer.
The only thing I don't like, is the track/arranger view, looks crap compared to my Sonar Platinum, since I uploaded and tweaked some ThemeEditor files.
Can't win them all I guess.

Do you mean the track/arranger in Studio One vs Sonar's?
I'm hanging in with Sonar 8.5, and really like how I've got it configured. **
-Have alt's -Reaper, and jumped on that great Samplitude bundle that was offered dirt cheap! , just haven't been forced to get off my butt' and dive in yet. :)

** That would be- ' Nice and bright, great contrast and easy to see close or 'ten feet a way (tracking session while doing headphones at the mixer table anyone?

Can't/won't hang with the so many I see 'vague contrast over 'dark. :rolleyes:

No thanks :p

Last edited:
Hi, as a sonar user for years i've been trying studio one 3, the cheapest paid version, prime i believe? anyway, are you able to load any 3rd party plugins? or 64bit i should say?

Don't know
Would think so
Pretty standard stuff I thought.

(just in to learn along the way :>)

I guess I'll be sticking with Splat until it quits working.
I have to much money invested to just abandon. Been a user for over a decade.

I ended up getting a new PC for cheap and it had Windows 10, so I tried Sonar X3 and so far so good on compatibility. I'm on borrowed time, just hoping that time is another 3 or 4 years. Otherwise, Reaper here I come.

Trying to remember- if I knew at all :>) Are the Win 10 updates messing with most of the DAW's out there?
My DAWs (Sonar all along) has never been on line for the obvious 'no exposure to problems.
So I'm not looking forward to having to get into this whole current messes I read about.

Trying to remember- if I knew at all :>) Are the Win 10 updates messing with most of the DAW's out there?
My DAWs (Sonar all along) has never been on line for the obvious 'no exposure to problems.
So I'm not looking forward to having to get into this whole current messes I read about.

Win10 updates, I apply them all to my music computer, has not messed up Reaper or Ableton. Even when I upgrade from Win7. What has been a PITA has been my networking setup as the updates has screwed up my sharing schema (moving stuff back and forth). But that has been about it. I did have to update my Audiobox USB drivers recently on my daily driver, but not on my Tascam (main music computer interface).

For the most part, Win10 for me has not been bad and I have not had a single crash since the upgrade.

Win10 updates, I apply them all to my music computer, has not messed up Reaper or Ableton. Even when I upgrade from Win7. What has been a PITA has been my networking setup as the updates has screwed up my sharing schema (moving stuff back and forth). But that has been about it. I did have to update my Audiobox USB drivers recently on my daily driver, but not on my Tascam (main music computer interface).

For the most part, Win10 for me has not been bad and I have not had a single crash since the upgrade.
That's good to hear.
Makes me wonder then if most my 'fear has been Sonar forum land' generated. Hmm :>)

That's good to hear.
Makes me wonder then if most my 'fear has been Sonar forum land' generated. Hmm :>)

Some on the board will say Win10 is crap. While I won't say it is perfect, I have been very pleased with it, on my daily driver, music computer and on my work computer. so far across the board, it has just worked.

Now with that said, I rarely mess with my computer under the hood these days. I get it to work and leaved it alone. No tweaking, overclocking, no tweaking the register, just use it.

Some on the board will say Win10 is crap. While I won't say it is perfect, I have been very pleased with it, on my daily driver, music computer and on my work computer. so far across the board, it has just worked.

Now with that said, I rarely mess with my computer under the hood these days. I get it to work and leaved it alone. No tweaking, overclocking, no tweaking the register, just use it.
But DAW on line I take it?

I'm not a fan of Win10, but mostly because of the spying and forced updates. I have updates postponed for the time being (they allow up to 35 days), and coincidentally did this before the recent meltdown/spectre vulnerabilities and issues with patching. You can unpause, then re-pause this feature every 34 days if you wish.

I do use this computer on the internet but limit where I go. Risky stuff can be done of my laptop (including letting Windows manage the updates), I can just restore an image if needed on that.

For Win10 on my desktop, I'm considering getting some sort of third party utility that monitors and manages these things for me. I found a few when looking online a couple weeks ago, just didn't pull the trigger.

For Win10 on my desktop, I'm considering getting some sort of third party utility that monitors and manages these things for me. I found a few when looking online a couple weeks ago, just didn't pull the trigger.

What software is that? I really never thought of that so I am curious.

What software is that? I really never thought of that so I am curious.

I found a few options via google, I would actually need to redo my search as I kinda gave up but in hindsight I'm thinking I may want to have the behind the scenes service and windows update off until I tell them otherwise...

Maybe try "windows 10 tweaks" or some variable of that.

windows 10 tweaks - Recherche Google

Keep in mind that I'm a computer tech/engineer by trade, but I know that many times the changes that are made can be undone with one windows update so it's better IMO to have an app that is actively monitoring and managing that setting. It ensures it always stays off if that's how you want it. Microsoft likes to be sneaky at re-enabling services.

I found a few options via google, I would actually need to redo my search as I kinda gave up but in hindsight I'm thinking I may want to have the behind the scenes service and windows update off until I tell them otherwise...

Maybe try "windows 10 tweaks" or some variable of that.

windows 10 tweaks - Recherche Google

Keep in mind that I'm a computer tech/engineer by trade, but I know that many times the changes that are made can be undone with one windows update so it's better IMO to have an app that is actively monitoring and managing that setting. It ensures it always stays off if that's how you want it. Microsoft likes to be sneaky at re-enabling services.

Thanks for that information. Yes MS these days seems to install their updates with defaults that override user settings. A big PITA.

Back