Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Sonar.

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Trying to remember- if I knew at all :>) Are the Win 10 updates messing with most of the DAW's out there?
    My DAWs (Sonar all along) has never been on line for the obvious 'no exposure to problems.
    So I'm not looking forward to having to get into this whole current messes I read about.
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mixsit View Post
    Trying to remember- if I knew at all :>) Are the Win 10 updates messing with most of the DAW's out there?
    My DAWs (Sonar all along) has never been on line for the obvious 'no exposure to problems.
    So I'm not looking forward to having to get into this whole current messes I read about.
    Win10 updates, I apply them all to my music computer, has not messed up Reaper or Ableton. Even when I upgrade from Win7. What has been a PITA has been my networking setup as the updates has screwed up my sharing schema (moving stuff back and forth). But that has been about it. I did have to update my Audiobox USB drivers recently on my daily driver, but not on my Tascam (main music computer interface).

For the most part, Win10 for me has not been bad and I have not had a single crash since the upgrade.
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DM60 View Post
    Win10 updates, I apply them all to my music computer, has not messed up Reaper or Ableton. Even when I upgrade from Win7. What has been a PITA has been my networking setup as the updates has screwed up my sharing schema (moving stuff back and forth). But that has been about it. I did have to update my Audiobox USB drivers recently on my daily driver, but not on my Tascam (main music computer interface).

For the most part, Win10 for me has not been bad and I have not had a single crash since the upgrade.
    That's good to hear.
    Makes me wonder then if most my 'fear has been Sonar forum land' generated. Hmm :>)

Thanks
    That's good to hear.
    Makes me wonder then if most my 'fear has been Sonar forum land' generated. Hmm :>)
    Some on the board will say Win10 is crap. While I won't say it is perfect, I have been very pleased with it, on my daily driver, music computer and on my work computer. so far across the board, it has just worked.

Now with that said, I rarely mess with my computer under the hood these days. I get it to work and leaved it alone. No tweaking, overclocking, no tweaking the register, just use it.

Thanks
    Some on the board will say Win10 is crap. While I won't say it is perfect, I have been very pleased with it, on my daily driver, music computer and on my work computer. so far across the board, it has just worked.

Now with that said, I rarely mess with my computer under the hood these days. I get it to work and leaved it alone. No tweaking, overclocking, no tweaking the register, just use it.
    But DAW on line I take it?

Thanks
    But DAW on line I take it?
    Yes, but behind a firewall and I don't surf with it. It is protected reasonably well, the websites I do go to are for authorizing plug ins.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DM60 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm not a fan of Win10, but mostly because of the spying and forced updates. I have updates postponed for the time being (they allow up to 35 days), and coincidentally did this before the recent meltdown/spectre vulnerabilities and issues with patching. You can unpause, then re-pause this feature every 34 days if you wish.

I do use this computer on the internet but limit where I go. Risky stuff can be done of my laptop (including letting Windows manage the updates), I can just restore an image if needed on that.

For Win10 on my desktop, I'm considering getting some sort of third party utility that monitors and manages these things for me. I found a few when looking online a couple weeks ago, just didn't pull the trigger.
    Boogeymen Productions
    www.boogeypro.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    For Win10 on my desktop, I'm considering getting some sort of third party utility that monitors and manages these things for me. I found a few when looking online a couple weeks ago, just didn't pull the trigger.
    What software is that? I really never thought of that so I am curious.

Thanks
    What software is that? I really never thought of that so I am curious.
    I found a few options via google, I would actually need to redo my search as I kinda gave up but in hindsight I'm thinking I may want to have the behind the scenes service and windows update off until I tell them otherwise...

Maybe try "windows 10 tweaks" or some variable of that.

windows 10 tweaks - Recherche Google

Keep in mind that I'm a computer tech/engineer by trade, but I know that many times the changes that are made can be undone with one windows update so it's better IMO to have an app that is actively monitoring and managing that setting. It ensures it always stays off if that's how you want it. Microsoft likes to be sneaky at re-enabling services.
    Boogeymen Productions
    www.boogeypro.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    I found a few options via google, I would actually need to redo my search as I kinda gave up but in hindsight I'm thinking I may want to have the behind the scenes service and windows update off until I tell them otherwise...

Maybe try "windows 10 tweaks" or some variable of that.

windows 10 tweaks - Recherche Google

Keep in mind that I'm a computer tech/engineer by trade, but I know that many times the changes that are made can be undone with one windows update so it's better IMO to have an app that is actively monitoring and managing that setting. It ensures it always stays off if that's how you want it. Microsoft likes to be sneaky at re-enabling services.
    Thanks for that information. Yes MS these days seems to install their updates with defaults that override user settings. A big PITA.

Thread Information