Getting good reverb out of an audio track in Pro Audio 9?

Faust

I'm trying to add some reverb to an audio track and it's turning out to be a big pain. First of all when I add reverb to a track cakewalk never remembers it. I'll put in my settings and close and it won't remember my settings. So if I want to add something to the reverb I already have I have to guess what my previous settings were. This happens whether I'm using CFX reverb or Cakewalk FX reverb (anybody know which is better?). BTW, the reverb I get doesn't sound good at all. I'm just looking for a basic reverb like for a room and some of the presets just ruin my speakers when I try to "test" them and cut out completely. Am I missing something here? I think I need to be walked through it step by step.

cheap ways to get a bit of fx on a track....
1. copy track in 9 and offset the copy a few ms by inserting a bit of silence.
the exact amount is all experimentation.
2. use an external editor like audacity or goldwave or other editor to add a bit of reverb and reimport into 9.
3. try putting the track through an outboard unit and rerecord.
4. send a feed of a track to a speaker in an echoy space and mic the speaker and record the echo track.
if you want a cheap upgrade with lots of effects built in try a demo of powertracks at pgmusic.com. its a fantastic misi/digital audio sequencer that doesnt break your wallet with lots of pro features like 24 bit etc etc...

AGCurry said:
In order to save settings you have to NAME the "setting set" and SAVE it.
Yup. And don't be surprised if you won't see it shown after you saved the name and close the FX. I mean, if you close it and re-open, you still need to pull the drop down menu and re-select the one you saved. It's not actualy Cakewalk's fault. It's rather DirectX's bug.

;)
Jaymz

AGCurry said:
In order to save settings you have to NAME the "setting set" and SAVE it.
That is not correct. While you can save your own settings as a preset, and use them elsewhere, this should not be necessary to "save" the settings of an existing reverb on an existing track. Whatever the settings are on the reverb when you save the project, should remain as they were when you reopen the project.

If that is not happening, something is amiss.

One thing I like to do, is copy the track to another track. Add reverb to the copied track, and do a mix of the two.

lronhoover said:
One thing I like to do, is copy the track to another track. Add reverb to the copied track, and do a mix of the two.

That's exactly what would I do if I work with Pro 9 (w/o bus routing) :)

Back