DVD Audio Crackling with external USB M-Audio Card

drathbun

This might not be the place for this but since my main concern is ultimately whether my Sonar 6 PE will work or not, I decided to ask anyway.

I have a M-Audio Audiophile USB audio card. Everything is working fine with Sonar 6 PE right now. My operating system is Windows XP Media Center Edition. M-Audio reports NO SUPPORT for ANY of its products with this edition of Windows. However, all the drivers seem to work fine, that is, until I try to playback a DVD.

I get crackling and sometimes it crashes the computer. I had this problem of audio crackling with my previous Dell computer but it went away when I disabled the onboard audio card in the BIOS. I have done that with this HP computer but the problem persists.

My question is, if I just go out and buy an internal M-Audio card for this HP, will it be a waste of money because M-Audio doesn't support my OS? Or should I buy Vista with a new card and run 64bit?

I'm not comfortable with going with Vista.

Suggestions?

This might not be the place for this but since my main concern is ultimately whether my Sonar 6 PE will work or not, I decided to ask anyway.

I have a M-Audio Audiophile USB audio card. Everything is working fine with Sonar 6 PE right now. My operating system is Windows XP Media Center Edition. M-Audio reports NO SUPPORT for ANY of its products with this edition of Windows. However, all the drivers seem to work fine, that is, until I try to playback a DVD.

I get crackling and sometimes it crashes the computer. I had this problem of audio crackling with my previous Dell computer but it went away when I disabled the onboard audio card in the BIOS. I have done that with this HP computer but the problem persists.

My question is, if I just go out and buy an internal M-Audio card for this HP, will it be a waste of money because M-Audio doesn't support my OS? Or should I buy Vista with a new card and run 64bit?

I'm not comfortable with going with Vista.

Suggestions?
There could be many reasons why this crackles but I would not see Vista as the answer to your prayers. Buy Win XP and wait a year for all the audio companies to fix their vista driver issues.

Back