Do not use Cakewalk for anything professional?

MercyfullMusic

Someone told me the other day that a radio station would not play anything produced with Cakewalk because the quality is not that of something like Pro Tools. Is this true? Can you really HEAR the difference between both software? I know most high end places use Pro Tools, but isn't Cakewalk capable of high quality recordings? Don't alot of professionals use it?

I have Sonar and a Delta 1010 and I think it's very high quality. If my recording isn't that of a major release I'm blaming it on my lack of recording and mixing experience and the fact that my mixes also need to be mastered by a professional. Which I plan to do.

Please anyone here that is at a professional level please comment.

Thanks.

How would a radio station even know how a CD was recorded unless it was mentioned on the insert somewhere? I doubt if each radio station has an officer on duty from the Cakewalk Patrol screening CDs.

Cakewalk

That was the point, the guy I talked to said he had used Cakewalk and Pro Tools and he can HEAR the difference and that radio stations can to. He said that effects are a much higher quality in Pro Tools, etc.

Take this for what it's worth, because really, this is just a hobby for me:

A friend of mine has a very busy full-time, working for money, booked solid recording studio. Pro-tools is his centerpiece, along with racks of processors, mic pres, top end mics, etc. and a 2" Sony tape machine.

He said that when a major label signs someone, they want to go with THEIR people. Their studios, producers, engineers, etc. Their recording. I asked him "What about Tom Scholz, the guy behind Boston? Didn't they use the stuff he recorded in his basement?"
He said, "Yes. But that situation is rare."

Food for thought: I did some recording at this studio in Pro-Tools a while back, and the stuff I'm doing now in Sonar sounds better. Why? Because Sonar is better than Pro-Tools? No. Because I'M better than I was two years ago.

Re: Cakewalk

MercyfullMusic said:
That was the point, the guy I talked to said he had used Cakewalk and Pro Tools and he can HEAR the difference and that radio stations can to. He said that effects are a much higher quality in Pro Tools, etc.

There may be some truth there. I have only used pro tools a few times. Certainly it is much more advanced.

That being said, Radio stations can HEAR the difference??? What a bunch of crap. Was "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" a sonic masterpiece?"

For proof, check out "Loser", by Beck. Do some research on his hi-fi recording of that masterpiece.

I have made 50 commercial CDs and hundreds of Jingles. Guys at radio stations wouldnt care if the tune was recorded with an Edison wax Cylinder machine or a Neve Console. The Biz is about money.

Re: Cakewalk

MercyfullMusic said:
That was the point, the guy I talked to said he had used Cakewalk and Pro Tools and he can HEAR the difference and that radio stations can to.

He can "hear" the difference because his signal chain is totally high-end. Top-end mics, mic pres, and a/d converters are responsible for this. If he hooked that up to Sonar, I'd be amazed if anyone could hear the difference. No doubt the quality of effect plug-ins is also key. But to imply that it's strictly the audio tool is a bit of a stretch.

dude was either passing down some dumn sh*t he'd heard from someone else, or he was trying to convince you to throw your money in a certain direction.

the fact is, how well cakewalk sounds has more to do with the quality of the sound card and driver than it does with cakewalk itself. especially if you are using quality signal processors like Waves.

a person using cakewalk with a soundblaster card, a mackie 1604, and a shure sm57 isn't going to get the same level of quality as someone using cakewalk with a top notch apogee sound card, a grace 201 mic-pre, and a neumann u87 microphone.

Pro Tools TDM system does have better quality plug-ins then native system plug-ins...that is true...but if ur running fuck that shit and go h/w better then all that plug in crap

...That's too bad. Anyway, have you checked their listeners ? How many ? Two ? Three ? No surprise... Cakewalk's rule. If they don't play your made by Cakewalk song, then millions others will...

thats a crock of crap
16 or 24 bit recording will sound the same between cakewalk and sonar

as far as effects...

if you make shitty effects in cakewalk, are they going to sound better in pro tools? no they are still shitty

if you make your effects right, then they are right in both systems.

its all 1's and 0's

Do you really think any station is going to ask how the song was recorded? Where? How long it took? C'mon, let's be real! It's just like Dachy said, if it's good music, they'll play it anyway!

acidrock said:
Someone told me if I keep on jacking off I'll go blind.
Boy were they wrong!;)
I went cold turkey once I started having to wear glasses. :D

Plus, I've heard that radio stations won't play records from anyone who jerks off. (Or was it they won't play records from jerks? Well, it was one or the other.)

Nowdays I would suspect you heard that they won't play your music unless you are a jerk off.

I'm a little new to the equipment and software world but I am a musical veteran I have had 5 years of electric organ lessons starting at 9 years old to 14. So I think I may know a lot about music and a considerable amount about equip considering I have been recording songs in a studio since I was 20. I'm starting my own recording sessions now and I'm finding that there are several factors to consider when looking into the quality of sound and that's just what I think I might know a few are....environment:what causes unwanted frequencies. equipment: what can do what YOU want. presentation:if you send it in right it will come out right. knowledge: you have to know what you are doing the hardware and software do what you tell them to if you have an army you don't want to send the whole fleet to to capure one guy nor would you send one soldier to overthrow an empire.
Now if you ask an amature advice you will get amature advice, and if you ask the proffessionals what they use no matter what they tell you, they have thier secrets.There are hudreds of studios out there and not any two alike yet they all record hits you don't need the best just be the best.I think cakewalk will do good for me nonetheless, it adds a few more soldiers.

Back