Definitions?

badgas

I just bought Cakewalk AP9 and Rolands VS840GX.
Still reading about them.
I've checked out some sites that have musical definitions to download.
I can't find in either Rolands book or Cakewalks book a discription of a definition.
Can some one explain this to me. I'm new at this and simple words would be much apprciated.
Thanks in advance.

If you mean instrument definitions for Cakewalk, they are the collected information that Cakewalk uses to work with particular synths and other MIDI devices.

From the SONAR help system (same scheme as Cakewalk Pro Audio):

"SONAR lets you create and edit instrument definitions. To create an instrument definition, you must answer these types of questions:

"What are the names of the patches in each bank?
"Which note names should be used for each patch?
"What are the names of the MIDI Controllers for this instrument?
"Which RPN and NRPNs are available on the instrument?
"Which Bank Select method does the instrument use?

"To collect this information, you need the MIDI documentation for your instrument."

The ones on the websites have already been put together by somebody and all you have to do is put a copy in the right folder. For example, if you had a Roland XYZ synth, using the Roland XYZ instrument definition would allow you to use it smoothly from Cakewalk. If there were no XYZ definition file available yet (for example, if it just came out and you are among its first owners), you could make your own following Cakewalk's documentation.

Sometimes when people see the list of instrument definitions that come with Cakewalk, they think that you can pick one and get the sounds of the named device by using it. This is not true.

I hope that helps a bit.

Thanks Alchuck.
Yes, insturment definitions.
After reading your reply, I looked in the index under
'instrument definitions'
and there it is.
I was looking under 'definitions'.
Yeah, that helps me to understand what they are.
Now I'll check out the book.
I'll look harder in the book before I post a question that is already in the book.
Again, thanks.

Back