crackling

Albertm

I have a constant crackling sound when recording only. When in playback its not there. Any ideas at all. thanks

Drivers, sample rates, IRQ's, latency slider, ram.

All these can affect soundcard performance which is definately the problem.

What hardware and software are you using?

Tascam 1082
Sonar 5
1 gig ram

Sonar setting -Sample rte 44100
buffer size 92.9 play back que 2bit - drive 16 bits
i/o buffer size 2048

wdm driver

Does this help narrow it down?

Do you have an Asio driver available for that 1082 ? If so, use that option.

Did Sonar set the 2048 sample rate during hardware acquisition or is that a recommended sample rate by Tascam? Try halving it.

The 1082 is firewire, yes? Some people get better firewire results using Texas Instruments based chipsets on pci firewire cards rather than relying on the MB firewire hardware.

Is this a new problem, or has it never worked correctly?

Thats the strange thing. I've been using for 2 years with no crackles. But I halved the rate as you said and noticed my tascam was at 64. Went up to 512. No crackles. Just to check I changed everything back and no crackles. So I don't really know why they came and went. Tascam is firewire, but was always good. Same with using WDM drivers. I think I tried Asio once and it took me backwards. Is that the way to good in the end?
Anyway, not sure why alls working but glad it is. Thanks Mike for the time. This buffer thing always baffled me. Need a good buffer theory course.

I have similar problems from time to time, usually just opening the audio options dialog and (I use ASIO) clicking the ASIO panel button and closing again fixes it, the slider does not move on my system but moving it probably does the same thing on your system.

hey man most likely it is in your buffer adjust it to where it is runnin faster that should the the trick

Back