Caved and bought Cakewalk Platinum

ido1957

9K Gold Member
Well Mike bought it so I was kind of forced to because we've shifted up to 64 bit. A couple of new features but nothing earth shaking. I do like the multiple sends though.

Its a great piece of software, i usually jump between cakewalk and fl, mainly due to me starting on fl and just much faster in it for quick stuff, but then cake when i want to really polish something up.

Just found the track mode where you can record stacks of tracks. Comping is simple, increases speed of retakes. Took a few tries to get the comping down but love the automatic cross fades.

I jumped on the X3 upgrade deals (previously 8.5, then X2) just prior to Platinum being announced/released, so I'm not looking to upgrade anytime soon. Especially since the best I've heard about the upgrade is "not earth shattering". lol

Not sure how it's changed in Platinum, but in X3 the comping is kinda annoying IMO but I understand why they went this route. It *works*, I just envision being able to tag lanes as audible so you can hear them when recording another lane. The automatic muting of other lanes has frustrated me a few times. If they want us to live in this folder/track/lane architecture they need to give us control over everything they possibly can. Instead they expect us to wrap our workflow around their design. Sounds like Micro$oft engineering. There's other minor annoyances I just can't think of them atm.

I also like the idea that there will be no "new" versions of Sonar, just upgrades. So the learning curve will be less, ie. no drastic changes. I'm not a "power user", I don't know a lot of keyboard short cuts and what not. I'm trying to learn though.

The biggest bonus for me have been the monthly updates, new content, bug fixes, workflow enhancements etc, all of course free of charge to members.

lol @ free of charge ...
Anyway - yes that mute of track lanes is an downer. Also would like to be able to use V Vocal in Platinum. I just open X3 but that's annoying. Guess I'll have to take the plunge and but the full version of Melodyne.
One really annoying thing is that you seem to need to keep one of the track lanes - if you delete the last one it nukes the main track.

Back