Cant record Midi OR Audio in CWPA9! I am FURIOUS!!

luvdldy

I am trying to get something recorded. It is not happening AND I AM FURIOUS. I purchased Cakewalk Power and there is no troubleshooting section or anything!!

The same setup I am using records in Cool Edit Pro without a
problem. I am trying to record via midi using my MPC2000 as master. I have tried also recording via audio and am getting NOTHING. HELP!!

I have an EWS88MT soundcard. Under Options>>Midi Devices is the following:

Input Ports:EWS88MT Midi
Output Ports:EWS88MT Midi
Midi Mapper
Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth

Under both Input & Output Ports, both have EWS88MT Midi higlighted. EWS88MT midi is at the top for both midi in and out and they are both highlighted.

To top it all off: I can arm Track 1 for midi. Wait for it to say Waiting for 30... Hit play on my MPC2000 and Cakewalk says Chasing and continues. The problem is:

No midi data is recorded in Track One. Unless I should see a blank track. I don't know, never used Pro Audio before. Only Cool Edit. I even patched a module into my patcbay, which is patched into Audio In 1&2 on my EWS88MT breakout box. Played the mpc whilst arming Cakewalk for an Audio track AND I got nothing. I have done the same using CEP 2.0 and it works fine. Aaarggh!

Why do you need PA9 as the slave? I've done this, but I don't remember how it was done. All I can remember it's easier if you set PA9 as the master.

(You didn't have any luck at the SOS-forum? ;))

try killing using the MS Wavetable thingimajig...the keyboard you have has onboard sound, so why do you want to use the crappy internal MIDI sounds of your PC?

It may not be in the troubleshooting, but go through a tutorial in the "help" section, there must be one for how to record MIDI data.

Wish I could be more helpful

That was a good idea! :) (Now, why didn't I think of that? Doh! ;))

Acutally the MS Wavetable is not a internal synth, it's the Microsoft Softsynth of All Times! And it causes more problems than it solves (but it can't be uninstalled completely from your system, sadly).

Can record Audio now...

OK... so I can record audio via using my MPC2000 as the midi generator and recording Audio into Cakewalk. Yet, I still cannot just record Midi. Does anyone know how exactly I should setup my midi cables or something.

PLEASE HELP ME... I'm pulling my hair out!

Anyone know where I can get a manual.

Well... here's the step to check.
Well, I don't know much about MPC2000 thingee it's better if you tell me abit about it...however, this steps should work for general check up.

Make sure your MIDI cable routed propherly.
EWS88MT Midi IN --> MPC2000 OUT
EWS88MT MidiOUT --> MPC2000 IN
Some break out MIDI cables labeled OUT as IN and IN as OUT :( so, this case, you have to reverse the order.

Turn on your MPC2000. If there's any mode to get into multi timbral (or GM Mode ?), go for it.

Fire up Cakewalk. Go Options --> Project --> Clock. Set to MIDI Sync.

Go Options --> MIDI Devices, select only EWS88MT Midi as Input and Output port in both options field.
Set 16 MIDI Tracks, each must be mapped to port EWS88MT Midi, and each corespond to MIDI Channel 1 ~ 16. (Track 1 channel 1, Track 2 channel 2, etc...)

Go Options --> Project --> MIDI Input. ( Cakey Pro Audio :confused: I couldn't recall... have a look yourself. ;) )... Find it ? Good...
Check Record And Echo MIDI Channel. All 16 channels should be enabled. Echo Mode Auto. Echo Mapping Local on port 0...

Go Options --> Global --> MIDI. (once again, I'm talkin' in SONAR terms. Please look for this in Cakey Pro Audio). It will open kinda like MIDI Record Filter. Select ALL those check list. Can you do that so far...? Good...

Now, arm ALL those 16 MIDI Tracks.

Hit record. Just do it... then play the MPC2000. Stop when it's done. Tell me, what do you see in Cakewalk ?

;)
Jaymz

ps. If it doesn't work, read again this post, and make sure you do it right (specialy the MIDI cable). Otherwise, your MIDI cable in not working (need to be replaced). ;)

ps2. CEP 2 doesn't record MIDI !!! :rolleyes:

Back