Cannot record via mic input.

Calc

Hi, I have an U46DJ audio interface and I'm trying to use the mic input to record some singing into Sonar.

I have connected a SM57 mic to the mic inpit, input 1/2.
Headphones are connected to the headphones output (obviously).

I'm using ASIO drivers that came with the card, and in Sonar I choose 1/2 as input and 5/6 as output. I can hear the singing in my headphones, but there is no signal going into Sonar.

The funny thing is that If I set channels 3/4 to Hi-Z or Phono I can record, even with the mic in input 1/2. The levels are extremly low though, and the sound quality is sub par.

Can it be a problem with the ASIO drivers or is something else more probable?

Thank you for your time!

I'm not familiar with that interface, but if you're getting a signal to the headphones, I'm guessing there's something up with the Sonar config...

You mentioned that you have "1/2 as input and 5/6 as output"... Are you talking about within the Audio Options window for Input and Output Drivers?

Check the track you're wanting to record to and make sure it's input is set to 1 or 2 and that the output is set to Master... Your Master bus should be set to 5/6 as the output.

Hope this helps!

:)

Hi, thank you for replying.

Yes, I can hear my voice through the headphones.

Ive tried recording using the windows sound recorder and I am not able to record with it. I think if this doesnt work, then Sonar definantly will not.

Yes, the settings are set in Audio Options. The track is set up properly...

There are some issues with the drivers on this card. I have read a lot about it, but nobody has quite the same problems as me. Its an old card, and ESI are known for their lack of support.

Thank you!

I'm not familiar with your interface either. Does it have a pre amp on it? Could be that's why you're not getting a good recording.

...The funny thing is that If I set channels 3/4 to Hi-Z or Phono I can record, even with the mic in input 1/2. The levels are extremly low though, and the sound quality is sub par.

..It does have phantom power +48V...I can record the micthrough the Hi-Z input though :rolleyes:
Does that mean you can get good signal in via the other inputs, or just some bleed' through to 1/2? And if comes in to the 'phones (part of the interface?) it would seem the analog part of it's ok.(?)
Just wondering if there's a clue in there.

If I insert the Mic into the mic input (Channel 1/2) and set Channel 3/4 to either Hi-Z or phono I get some signal into Sonar, very low though. It is far from a good signal...

If I insert the mic into Channel 3/4 and use the Hi-Z, I can record, but with quite some background static which I do not get when recording guitar.

I would like to post a picture of the U46DJ, but I do not have enough posts to do so :rolleyes:

I really appreciate your help.

That's it!

Any clue where the problem may lie? I'm thinking driver issues since the the other inputs work just fine, but what do I know...

I will try calling ESI today, I've heard nothing but great things about their support ;)

Yea, some harsh comments there. Good thing I got mine for free..

Another thing, In Sonar, when I try to access the ASIO panel, nothing happens..Is this a clue perhaps?

Thank you.

I just called ESI support and a very nice guy listened to my problems and noted down my setup and all.

He said that he had not heard of this problem before, but that he's going to look into at and get back to me this afternoon :D

I'll be really surprised if they do call back!
I'll let you know.

He actually called back! Wow :)

He had tried on his laptop with Sonar and it worked.
He also said that since I can hear the mic through the monitors, the input is working.

I was told to reinstall the drivers, restart my system and try installing the drivers again, just to see what happens. I'll try it when I get back from work.

ESI looks to be quite helpful, despite all the bad things I have read about their support.

He also said that Sonar might be hard to set up with U46DJ...

A little update:
Since it is Christmas I have not talked to ESI support, but I got the chance to try the card on some more computers.

I tried on a desktop and a laptop. The result was the same;

Not able to record using the microphone input. I'm still using a SM57 with a XLR to TRS cable.
I can record using the Hi-Z input but with a lot of background static.

I'm thinking that it must be the card itself that is the fault.

Starting to look for a new, maybe Line6 Toneport UX1 :)

Merry Christmas, and if you have some tips/comments please let me know.

Back