Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cannot fix latency

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    You can buy an interface and it might fix it, but it might not.
    I'd try all the free options first.

Unless there's a very specific hardware incompatibility going on, I can't see an interface change fixing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
    Yes. Tear out, delete, uninstall, and deactivate everything that is not directly related to audio production and never let it connect to the internet except maybe for software authorization.
    You could always just check system performance.
    If CPU/mem/HDD are all ticking at 2%, there's no point tearing the machine apart.
    Norton is a notorious resource hog, all the same,

Check system stats under load and, if they're not good, start there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grawlf View Post
    That's a tad too much terminology. What do you mean by 'mix'?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    No VST can emulate that smell.

Thanks
    I wonder if you're routing your audio through the DAW rather than by the shortcut through the MixControl, causing increased latency.

If you solve the audio latency, perhaps run audio from the keyboard for monitoring purposes while also recording the MIDI.

Often, people have a second drive in the computer to store VSTi files, so the system drive doesn't have to supply them while doing other stuff.
    Last edited by bouldersoundguy; 5 Days Ago at 00:01.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    I wonder if you're routing your audio through the DAW rather than by the shortcut through the MixControl, causing increased latency.

If you solve the audio latency, perhaps run audio from the keyboard for monitoring purposes while also recoding the MIDI.
    There's no good reason to have to do that, though. This machine sounds like it should be able to handle a couple audio tracks and/or VSTis.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ashcat_lt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
    There's no good reason to have to do that, though. This machine sounds like it should be able to handle a couple audio tracks and/or VSTis.
    Probably, but something seems to be making that difficult. Using MixControl and the analog output from the keyboard might just get him up and running with less effort.

Thanks
    Thanks again everybody for the replies. Will be trying out my new upgrades tonight. Memory now 32gb. 2nd Generation Scarlett installed. Never used ASIO4ALL. Will also disable internet access and shut down Norton anti-virus. Also plan to do some more reading in Scott's X2 Power book. Maybe something new will come up. Wish me luck. Hopefully I'll have a Tascam DP24 for sale soon. - Bill

Thanks
    PS: The new 2nd Generation Scarlett 2i4 does not seem to include MixControl.

Thanks
    The keyboard is a Cakewalk A-500 and does not produce audio. Only MIDI which I use to drive soft-synths in Sonar.
    Not sure about MixControl as it was not included with the 2i4 2nd Gen. I used it with the 8i6 but found it extremely difficult to understand.
    Guess I just needed to find a good tutorial. I'll contact Focusrite and see if MixControl works with the new Scarlett.

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post

If you solve the audio latency, perhaps run audio from the keyboard for monitoring purposes while also recording the MIDI.

Often, people have a second drive in the computer to store VSTi files, so the system drive doesn't have to supply them while doing other stuff.

Thanks
    Another 16gb ram is unlikely to have any effect. I seriously doubt you were maxing out 8, let alone 16gb.

Pulling Norton etc may help but, again, checking system performance % might point you in the right direction more quickly.
    I mean, it'll literally tell you what programs are using what percentage of what. No brainer?

As much as it may be useful troubleshooting advice, I don't think I've ever had make the choice between audio recording and some other service, application or luxury.
    That kind of compromise might have been necessary in pentium IV days but not these days.

Dropping network+AV for isolation and security is a different story, of course. If that's someone's choice, fair enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grawlf View Post
    That's a tad too much terminology. What do you mean by 'mix'?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    No VST can emulate that smell.

Thread Information