Can you EQ the kick on a drum loop?

doriangrey

If you needed to isolate and EQ only the kick on a drum loop (s) to synch up with the bass, how would you go about it? Would you cut and paste just the kick portions of the loop on another track and eq that track? How would you align the kick drum to the proper timing placement?

I'm using Cakewalk GTP 3 which has some features like Sonar. Does someone have the answer to this? Thanks..

Derek

Last edited:
The way I'd do it is blow up the wave form & split the drum track right on the first kick. Position the split so you pick up all the kick transient, but no space before the kick. Now go to the same position in the next bar, or however long the loop is and split in front of that kick, in exactly the same place.
Put a volume envelope in the clip you've created to remove everything except the kick, and paste as many times as you like onto a new track. Make sure you paste the envelope while you do it.
Now you can eq the kick, but remember you still have the original kick on the first track. You may want to envelope that out of there as well

Qwerty said:
Multi-band EQ/compression?

Q.

That would work too. But there is a certain amount of compression I need to use just for the kick to interlock with the bass track to get that thump. I don't want the compression to interfere with the snare, cymbals, ect.

Bulls Hit said:
The way I'd do it is blow up the wave form & split the drum track right on the first kick. Position the split so you pick up all the kick transient, but no space before the kick. Now go to the same position in the next bar, or however long the loop is and split in front of that kick, in exactly the same place.
Put a volume envelope in the clip you've created to remove everything except the kick, and paste as many times as you like onto a new track. Make sure you paste the envelope while you do it.
Now you can eq the kick, but remember you still have the original kick on the first track. You may want to envelope that out of there as well

That's good thinking. I will see if I can get that to work for me.

Back