Blue Jay Drums Ain't Working???

dachay2tnr

One Hit Wonder
What's up?? I can't get the Blue Jay Drums Sound Font that came with Sonar to work. (In fact, I can't get any of the drum sound fonts that came with Sonar to work.)

I'm using the Live Synth Pro - and I know how to use a Sound Font with it. However, when I try to use the Blue Jay Drums I get absolutely no sound at all.

With the same configuration, if I load a GM sound font, bingo, I get drums!

Any clues, gentlemen?

Just to cover the basics:
1. Set up an Audio Track and patch the LSP DXi in the FX bin.
2. Open the LSP, browse to the Blue Jay kit and load it into the LSP
3. Set up a Midi Track - set to Channel 10 - use PRV to put some drum hits on it and set the Midi Out so it points to the LSP.
4. Select the Blue Jay Drums in the bank and one of the kits in the Patch (e.g., KickQ2 DW Maple).

Then I hit play. . . and nothing. What am I missing? Why don't these work like every other sound font I've ever used?

That's just a demo,after thirty days it can only handle fonts of under 1MB if I'm not mistaken.Do you have the full version?

Acidrock may have a valid point, Dach...

But just to test:
Is there any difference if you open the DXi-window and insert the DXi from there, and let Sonar automaticly create the audio and MIDI tracks?

And the Blue Jay Drums don't need to be at Channel 10.

Nah, guys, nice try but I bought the full ($60) version of Live Synth Pro. The problem isn't with LSP - cause I can get it to work with other Sound Fonts (e.g., the bass in the last mix I posted in the clinic) - the problem seems to be with the Blue Jay drums (and all the other drum sound fonts on the Sonar CD).

Moskus, I haven't tried to set it up using the Dxi window. However, I think that only automates the setting up of the two tracks you need, so I don't see what difference it would make. But I'll give it a try anyway, just to be sure.

Any other takers?

You know what? I've had that same problem. I can't get the BJ Drums to play in Live Synth, either! I know there isn't a problem with the sound font, cuz I opened it in Vienna and constructed a new sound font, using several of the BJ sounds. It's like Live Synth just doesn't like the BJ drums. Have you had problems with any of the other Sonic Implant SF's? :confused:

ed

Seems I can get the musical instuments to play (Rock Bass, Fretless Bass, Rhodes Piano), but I cant' get any of the drum sound fonts to play.

I just loaded up one of the Sonic Implant Demos (Sonic Implants Pop.wrk) which uses the Blue Jay drums. I did this on my secondary computer (not my DAW) which has a SB Live in it. The demo routes the Blue Jay drums through the Live card, and they work fine in that configuration. However, they don't work through the Live Synth Pro.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Weird...

Are you sure they are set up like GM drumkits to use Channel 10? (I would think they would be, being a commercial kit.)

Did you play with the Bank Select Method? (I often find I have to fiddle with that when I use Sound Fonts.)

If you open up the "Sonic Implants Pop"- project that uses LiveSynth... Still Nothing?

I get the same thing with 2.2 if I insert the LSPro as a DXi within the FX bin of the track.

If I insert it into the DXi-SoftSynth window thingy, it appears to work fine.

Cya,

Q.

Did you install the Livesynth Pro DXi demo when you installed Sonar the first time?

moskus said:
Did you install the Livesynth Pro DXi demo when you installed Sonar the first time?
I don't recall. I may have. What would that have to do with it? And why would it work for some sound fonts and not others?

I'm sooooo confused. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I really don't get this. I've never had a problem with Lifesynth Pro DXi (well, with one soundfont I had a problem, but that turned out to be a faulty download).

You can look for "Livesynth Pro DXi Demo" in the Add/Remove programs in Control Panel.

Have you gone :

Options --> Global --> MIDI

And check the playback buffer (on the bottom) ? Set it to higher value... 1000 or 2000.

And the winner is. . .

James Argo!!! :p

I set the buffer to 1000 and the MIDI Channel to None and bingo - Blue Jay Drums. Interesting sidebar - they won't work if you set the channel to 10 (which is a bit of a PIA, because then you don't get the drum names in Piano Roll View - you just get a piano keyboard).

James, when I first read your post, I was laughing. Because it seems like your answer to every MIDI problem is to raise the MIDI buffer. At first I wasn't even going to try it, but I'm glad I did. Thanks.

But I do need to tell you guys, so far I'm not thrilled with the sound. :(

Man, I didn't even sit on my DAW right now :D

One post and problem solved... :eek: :D

I'm scared now... I'll have surgery tommorow to check if my brain is NOT built on MIDI system... eerrr... :D

Glad to help you, Almighty Dachay2tnr :)

Rock on !!! :D

James Argo said:
Man, I didn't even sit on my DAW right now :D
You mean you need to be at your DAW to answer the questions? Tsk tsk, James. I write most of my posts at work or on my laptop... ;)

These kids,they grow up so fast.I remember when James and Moskus were just newbies asking questions about latency and dropouts,and here they are today,fully grown and giving advice.kinda makes me a little misty eyed...... :o :p :eek: :confused:

Yeah, smart guy? :eek:

We've been around here longer than you! :D
Actually, in my timezone, James and I joined at the same date...

Back