Best Audio Interface for Sonar Platinum & Windows 8.1?

Adamus Turner

Hi all,

I made the mistake of listening to a salesman and bought a Focusrite Forte which turned out to be a nightmare. Does Roland have the best bug free interfaces for Sonar and Windows 8.1 or are there better ones based on you experience?

Thanks,

Adam Turner

plenty of folks on win8 running sonar, no problems.

also, plenty of the same folks using another Focusrite series,
the Scarlett 18i20, and all of that scarlett series....

that said, some of the roland stuff (octa capture), the steinburg stuff (UR44),
the Motu stuff, and the RME babyface,
all good alongside the sonar stuff

I've been using an older Focusrite Saffire since 2007 with absolutely zero problems.

This has served me through Sonar 6, 8, 8.5, X1, X2, X3, Platinum

If it ain't broke.........

You may want to check your setup. Focusrite has a pretty good reputation, as far as between the DAW and the software you are using, it really is a matter of the ASIO driver interacting with the DAW. I don't think the salesman steered you wrong, I think you are not getting your system setup correctly.

If you think it is the unit, you may try and swap it out for another to eliminate perhaps a bad unit or try it with the MME drivers in your DAW or something like Audacity (just for a test) and confirm it is working. In general product does not have major issues, but that particular until could.

I have used the Tascam 2x2, iTrack Solo, and now Scarlett 2i2. They are all fine, but I stuck with the 2i2. I find I don't really need any more inputs for what I am doing, which is creating a 5 piece band from 2 guys. I am on Win8.1 Pro with Sonar Platinum....

I have been using the Focusrite Saffire PRO 40 and the Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP for many years with no problems with various versions from Sonar 4 Producer through X1 and X3 up to my current Sonar Platinum. These are, however, Firewire interfaces. I found the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 to be a comparable USB interface when using a laptop for mobile applications, where the laptop doesn't have Firewire.

While I was thinking about getting the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, I decided on an RME Fireface and was blown away by how good it is in comparison. The sound quality is just so much better. I didn't have issues with the Focusrites but the RME is just so good it is beyond words. The RME has both Firewire and USB, and is perfect for either.

I am running Windows 7 on an i7 CPU with 16GB RAM.

Back