Audio Output - Sonar to Focurite

Xdrummer

I'm hoping someone can offer help - for which I would be very, very greatfule!!!!!!

I am trying to send multiple audio tracks out of Sonar Platinum, into Focusright Scarlett 18i20 and then from the Scarlett into a 32 channel mixing board.

I want each audio track seperate going to the board so I can mix and add harware F/X (I don't mix/F?X in the box).

In Sonar, the output option is limited to: Line Out 5 Scarlett 18i20 - which appears to send each audio track into the same stereo input in Scarlett - and I can't figure out how to seperate the tracks to route them seperately.

Previously, I used Sonar 6 into a pari of M-Audio Delta 1010s - and Sonar gave me the option to send to any one or 16 seperate outputs ........ I expected the same in Sonar Platinum.

Any ideas?????

I think you may be confusing what the capabilities of your Scarlett interface are with what Sonar is capable of doing. Your Scarlett needs to have a digital input (from the computer to the interface) for each track that you want to do this with.

If you open your edit->preferences->Devices the section called Output Drivers will list all of the capabilities that your Scarlett advertised when its driver initialized in Windows. If you are only seeing two channels here, then that is what your Scarlett is capable of. If you are seeing multiple then make sure they are checked in the preferences.

I suspect that the i2 part of the 18i20 may indicate that the Scarlett only provides two mono channels for sound from the computer to the device. How many distinct audio outputs does the Scarlett have?

Each checked output "driver" can be assigned to the output on tracks or busses. These would then be routed to suit your needs inside the audio device configuration.

This is typically used to send individual mixes to different headphones while tracking, but can also be used for external inserts to loop the signal through an external device (reverb, compresser or whatever).

On further review, it looks like you should have 20 audio outputs. Make sure they are enabled in preferences, you can then route directly from any track to that output. If all 20 aren't showing up you probably have a configuration issue with your Scarlett.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!

The 18i20 is intended to suggest 18 ins and 20 outs.

Scarlett shows 8 DAW inputs (separate from "inputs" such as if I plug a mic or guitar into Scarlett) but Sonar does not seem to recognized multiple inputs - and I don't even see an option in preferences that allows me to activate additional DAW inputs.

I'll go into preferences again and see if I missed something.

If nothing else, I may have to uninstall Scarlett and try to reinstall.

I think you may be confusing what the capabilities of your Scarlett interface are with what Sonar is capable of doing. Your Scarlett needs to have a digital input (from the computer to the interface) for each track that you want to do this with.

If you open your edit->preferences->Devices the section called Output Drivers will list all of the capabilities that your Scarlett advertised when its driver initialized in Windows. If you are only seeing two channels here, then that is what your Scarlett is capable of. If you are seeing multiple then make sure they are checked in the preferences.

I suspect that the i2 part of the 18i20 may indicate that the Scarlett only provides two mono channels for sound from the computer to the device. How many distinct audio outputs does the Scarlett have?

Each checked output "driver" can be assigned to the output on tracks or busses. These would then be routed to suit your needs inside the audio device configuration.

This is typically used to send individual mixes to different headphones while tracking, but can also be used for external inserts to loop the signal through an external device (reverb, compresser or whatever).

On further review, it looks like you should have 20 audio outputs. Make sure they are enabled in preferences, you can then route directly from any track to that output. If all 20 aren't showing up you probably have a configuration issue with your Scarlett.

https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-18i20/inputs-and-outputs
2 A/D lines for monitors, 8 additional
2 SPDIF 8 ADAT
- 20 outs -
However, you should see at least the ten A/D outs- and you can have Sonar configured to use the digital outs as well- and add an 8 ch ADAT D/A. (All of these may have to be added in to Sonar's setup. Haven't done it in a while.. but it is customizable for what you want or don't want to see in the track I/O options IIRC.

edit; Come to think of it I think all 16 RME analog ins and outs and the digitaal ones are in view in my track/bus assign lists, just have all the digi ones are down at the bottom.
Typically you might see (at least for the anlogs) a Left, a Right and a Stereo for each analog pairs- in your case 1--5.

Last edited:
Therein lies my problem. Sonar recognizes a Scarlett 18i20, but does not show multiple outs for me to select. Since I've uses a previous version of Sonar with M-Audio D/A interface I understand what I should see in Sonar ....... but it's not there.

Do you think if I uninstall Scarlett and then reinstall all the out put may pop up?? I'm thinking a hic-cup happened when I installed Scarlett. I ran into a lot of problems after I installed Sonar and Scarlett. A friend pulled out the 12 Ram in the computer and installed a more efficient 16 Ram - perhaps the lack of efficient ram cause a problem during install????

https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-18i20/inputs-and-outputs
2 A/D lines for monitors, 8 additional
2 SPDIF 8 ADAT
- 20 outs -
However, you should see at least the ten A/D outs- and you can have Sonar configured to use the digital outs as well- and add an 8 ch ADAT D/A. (All of these may have to be added in to Sonar's setup. Haven't done it in a while.. but it is customizable for what you want or don't want to see in the track I/O options IIRC.

edit; Come to think of it I think all 16 RME analog ins and outs and the digitaal ones are in view in my track/bus assign lists, just have all the digi ones are down at the bottom.
Typically you might see (at least for the anlogs) a Left, a Right and a Stereo for each analog pairs- in your case 1--5.

As I pointed out before, Sonar will show all of the output devices that are made available by the Windows driver.
SonarInputs.jpg
If you aren't seeing all of the outputs in the Sonar Preferences panel then they are not being advertised by your Focusrite DRIVER. You may want to check what driver mode you are in (WDM/KS, ASIO, etc.) It could be that Focusrite does not make all of the outputs available in all of their driver modes. Preferably they have an ASIO driver for the device which should do this (MAKE SURE ASIO4ALL is not installed on your system - it can interfere with this).

If this does not result in all of the outputs being available you should look at your Focusrite driver installation and contact their tech support is a clean reinstall following their instructions does not fix the problem.

This is an issue with Windows/Focusrite driver. Sonar only reports what Windows makes available to it.

Glen

I finally was able to get Sonar to recognize the Scarlett outs. I had not selected ASIO as the driver option in Sonar ...... as soon as I did that all was well.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!

As I pointed out before, Sonar will show all of the output devices that are made available by the Windows driver.
View attachment 96709
If you aren't seeing all of the outputs in the Sonar Preferences panel then they are not being advertised by your Focusrite DRIVER. You may want to check what driver mode you are in (WDM/KS, ASIO, etc.) It could be that Focusrite does not make all of the outputs available in all of their driver modes. Preferably they have an ASIO driver for the device which should do this (MAKE SURE ASIO4ALL is not installed on your system - it can interfere with this).

If this does not result in all of the outputs being available you should look at your Focusrite driver installation and contact their tech support is a clean reinstall following their instructions does not fix the problem.

This is an issue with Windows/Focusrite driver. Sonar only reports what Windows makes available to it.

Glen

Back