Audio Folder Dilemma

mark4man

MoonMix Studios
People,

One of my band members is having this problem in SONAR XL 2.2.

I had wanted to set up his PC studio the same as mine, for compatibility, so I installed a 2nd Hard Drive for audio data, optimized Windows (XP) the same; & configured SONAR the same.

In Global Options > Audio Data, I setup a folder on the 2nd Drive (E) as the Global Audio Folder. He opens SONAR; & regardless of how he chooses to set up his projects [sometimes he records audio tracks into the default template (SONAR 1- Track); & sometimes he closes that out & opens a New Project
File]...he winds up with his audio data on the wrong Drive (C.) He runs into trouble when he is prompted to save an existing project or name a new one. He fails to define the Audio Path to the 2nd Drive.

So my first question is: If the global options are setup to dictate a
separate location for audio data, why doesn't that become the default Audio Path in the "New Project File" & "Save" dialogs for new projects? Why should that path have to be defined again?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------

Now, he has tons of audio files on the wrong drive. He tells me the help files tell him to move the files manually via Windows Explorer; & then open the Project File; & find them. When he does that, SONAR moves the files that were found...back to the C Drive!

So my second question is: Once we move his audio data to the appropriate drive; how do we setup the project to find the files on that drive...

...never mind on this question...was setting up the missing file scenario on my own machine (as I'm typing out the post); & noticed the option to reference files from their present location, once they are found. Cool.

(Still wondering about that first question, tho. Is that a relative function that can be altered in the .ini files?)

Thanks,

mark4man

Have you tried changing the default setting for Wave Files under Options > Global > Folders?

Don't ask me what the difference is between the default settings for Audio Data vs. Wave Files, but I have a hunch that'll fix it.

dachay2tnr,

That doesn't do anything. No matter which dialog is used in the naming, saving or unpacking of files; & regardless of Global setup...the Audio Path still has to be defined (by browsing.)

I have no idea why...maybe it's a failsafe.

But it causes one to wonder why there's a Global setup at all.

mark4man

Are you using 'Per-project-folders'? If not, you should be, because it's very cool. The other thing I want to mention is that you have to make sure you have your audio cache and picture cache folders set to the E drive in this case. You also need to have your Projects folder on the E drive. Everything else is OK where it is. You save projects in their own folders on the E drive in the Projects folder. Now when you open Sonar, click on the little 'open' icon, it should bring you to the Projects folder, which is on the E drive, and contains all the audio and MIDI and everything else from each of your projects. I know this is rmbling, and it seems obvious, but I have my folders set up this way, and I don't have any problems like you're having. Let us know how it's going.

ed

The Folder-per-Project option shouldn't cause this kind of problems...

What I would do is to change all the dirs to D:\WaveData\Whatever, and see if that helps. Maybe there's a glitch in the installation or something like that that causes it to read off the wrong directory... It's a longshot, I know, but stranger thing has happened. :rolleyes:

I have the same problem.

I have the global audio folder set to H:\... (for me). When I open up a new project and name it it still wants to put the audio in C:\..., but I just go down and change the C to an H in the dialog box and problem is solved.

I have the projects folder set to C:\... I'm not sure where I have the picture cache data. I'll take a looke at that and maybe change where the project file is stored. Maybe that will fix me up so it is more automatic. Thanks guitar ed :)

if you are using per-project folders, then the global audio data setting have no effect on your audio, just your picture cache, but you should still set these setting to your audio drive.

then, you've also got to set your project files folder to the audio drive. that way when you create a new project, it will automatically put the audio drive in as the default drive name when you are typing in the file name.

so, if you set your per-project file name to the audio drive, then you get your project and its audio data will be saved to the audio drive.

crosstudio,

I don't want to do that.

I want my primary drive to run SONAR 2.2; & I want my secondary drive to house the audio data.

I want the audio files arranged on the secondary drive in contiguous order, relative to the project, for optimum access.

If I use Per-Project, SONAR always seems to want to place Project & audio data on the same drive.

If I don't use Per-Project; & I defragment the audio (secondary) drive, what happens to the audio data? Are the files then arranged in contiguous order relative to alpha/numerical order?

If I want the files arranged in contiguous order relative to the project, for optimum access, do I have to use Per-Project; & then define the audio path to the 2nd drive?

Thanks, man.

mark4man

Back