Audio Engine Guru?

I’m getting Auidio Engine dropouts that I want to believe have more to do with my TASCAM 1641 than my computer.
Here’s the situation: We’re tracking on one computer (through the Tascam) and editing on a different computer. Both computers are running Sonar X2. The Tascam is only hooked up to the tracking computer.
I had a couple minor dropouts when recording the original session but nothing earth shaking. However, I was unable to make that session work on the editing computer (or my backup editing computer), dropouts happened within seconds. I was, however, able to import most all (haven’t had time for ALL yet) of the tracks to a NEW session (on the editing computer) and mix comfortably.
Next, I brought the tracking computer back to the studio (it came home with me) and tried to get the original session working (connected to the Tascam) but no dice. Dropouts. But again, I was able to start a new session, import tracks, and even record new tracks comfortably.
Considering all of the computers can handle the audio, both tracking and mixing, I’m hesitant to believe the issue is the computer. I want to believe that it’s something like Sonar looking for an input or output (Tascam) that isn’t there….or something.
Can I make that more confusing for anyone?

Funny, my collaborator uses X2 (I use X3) and recently started experiencing similar issues. Do you by chance run windows update regularly or have it set to apply automatically? I'm wondering if M$ distributed an update that's somehow breaking X2.

He literally only uses the PC for recording (has a Mac book for everything else). So it's extremely unlikely to be hardware or something he did on his end, as the computer is off when not in use (which is 99% of the time).

Great question. Updates ran last night....between the 1st session and the 2nd. This was an older computer I re-formatted a while ago and pulled out recently. It installed something like 43 updates between the 2 sessions.
HOWEVER ...plot twist. My mixing computer is running Win10. My backup mixing computer is still running 7 and I can't recall if I let it update or not. I'm not saying it rules out the idea of it being something M$ (I love that abrev btw) related, but makes it a little less likely in my book.

The first question that is always asked on dropouts is "What driver mode" are you in and "Are your drivers current and supported by the Operating System." Assuming that you are using the current ASIO drivers for your Tascam...

Just for giggles, delete your aud.ini file and run the wave profiler again (assuming you don't have ASIO driver).

Make sure that your not changing sample rates and bit depths, Doing conversions on-the-fly can make this happen. If you recorded at 44.1/16 make sure your output device is set to 44.1/16. Changing or moving audio devices can cause this to change.

Check to make sure that your record and playback master timing are pointed to the correct device in your profile settings.

Make sure that you do not have ASIO4ALL installed. It WILL cause problems if you have a device with proper drivers.

If you aren't tracking, kick up your buffer size (by two to four times).

Success! We had a great recording session last night. Upwards of 24 tracks over sever takes. The audio engine turned off a couple times but never during a recording, I assume during Saves or something, but it was never an issue. I still have serious latency issues making real-time monitoring impossible, but baby steps. I'm just thrilled to be able to comfortably record again!
I believe my biggest problem was the Driver Type. I'm not at my work station now to confirm actual names. I had all the drivers installed and updated but I had the wrong drive type selected.
Thanks for help guys!! It really paid off!
-j

Great to hear.

My collaborator ran malwarebytes on my suggestion, it found/removed a couple items and he was able to get a full session of recording without issue. Makes we wonder how those things got on there in the first place.

Interesting. I'm trying to keep this computer off the Internet as much as possible....but I'm weak and have no patience. I've turned off updates but i'll run continue to run scans just in case.
Good catch.

Interesting. I'm trying to keep this computer off the Internet as much as possible....but I'm weak and have no patience. I've turned off updates but i'll run continue to run scans just in case.
Good catch.

The fact he doesn't use it is incidental (not by design, he very well could if he wanted), but it's very strange he had anything detected because he literally only uses it to record now that he's moved over completely to Apple.

Back