Asio 2.0 problem

sodapopinski

I'm having a problem with ASIO 2.0 in Cakewalk Sonar 2.2 xl. Sonar is only letting me record at 16/48, when I should be able to record at 24/96. Any suggestions. Yes, I know... I'm using an Audigy 2 Platinum EX... make fun of me... but help me too, please. Oh, and yes, the EX model is supposed to be able to record at 24/96 with ASIO 2.0 drivers... I confirmed this with SB customer service. There response:

"Yes, the sound card is supposed to be able to record at 24 bit, 96 kHz through ASIO drivers. However, many software programs will not support this fast of sampling and bit rates. You may want to make sure that Sonar 2.0 is one of the few that will. Let us know if it is and the problem still exists. Thank you."

So, Sonar does this, right?

Oh, and the WDM drivers do let me record at 24/96...

Sonar supports 24/96, no problem there...

Does the Audigy let you record with 16/44?

Also.. if the WDM driver works, it will be a setting in the Control Panel somewhere of the SB.

With my Edirol when I go into it's control panel, I can manually set what Sample Rate I want to record at and set the latency from there...

If all else fails.... just use WDM. There have been discussions here on which is better ASIO of WDM... now days it is pretty even.

Porter

sodapopinski said:
Yes, it lets me record at 16/44
With ASIO-drivers aswell?

I haven't heard about problems with other 24/96 soundcards using ASIO-drivers and Sonar.

Complain to Creative! It should work, and if it don't, give them a hard time!

I am working with creative right now. By the way, is it possible that I don't have my ASIO 2.0 drivers set up right? I've never used ASIO before, and am not sure if I have to do something externally from Sonar. Porter mentioned setting it up in the SB control panel, but I can't find anything referring to ASIO, only WDM. But I know the ASIO drivers are working because I have been recording at 16/48 with ASIO selected in Sonar.

Hey, by the way... I'm an idiot. I can't select 16/44 with ASIO. 16/48 is the only thing I can use. Sorry...

There should be an ASIO Control Panel somewhere in the SB-mess it installed. There you should be able to controll buffersettings (set low for low latency) and supported bitrates.

moskus...
thanks for all your help. I'm still waiting for a reply from creative, and I'm still poking around for the ASIO control panel. I used Cubasis (which was bundled with the card) and it does let me select 24/96... and then I poked around somemore in Sonar, and noticed that under audio options, drivers tab, it lists input and output drivers. All of the SB Audigy ASIO 24/96 drivers are listed, but are greyed out, and I can't select them. In Cubasis these were the drivers I had to select to get 24/96... don't know if this makes any sense to you...

Hey, once again thanks for all your help... I figured it out... so here it is for future reference if anyone else might be having this problem.

Go to Options/Audio/Drivers. Click on all of the highlighted drivers, both in and out, to deselect them. Once they are all deselected, you will then have all of the driver options available to choose from. Select the SB Audigy ASIO 24/96 drivers, and that's it.

I can now record in 24/96!

sodapopinski,

You should now be able to access the ASIO Panel through Options -> Audio. General tab.. ASIO Panel.

Porter

Back