Align to snap

Ok, today's Sonar mixing question:
I have a session tracked. We tracked to a click, but we didn't use Sonar's click, we used an external metronome. We've never actually recorded to a click before so I've never been able to take advantage of the snaps, etc.
Our session doesn't align with the measures. I can snap to a "measure" but will be in the middle of my recorded measure. Is there a good way to sync the two? Is there any easy way to shift my tracks align with Sonar's click?
I have a couple ideas but I'd like to know the preferred method if there is one.
Thanks,
-j

Set up a track with a simple midi beat. Export it. Import the wav back in. Align your metronome with the midi beats - assuming you know the tempo this should work.

When you say "align", is there a tool?
Last night I just zoomed way in, lined up the cursor with the transient, and split all the tracks. I deleted everything to the left. I selected everything, cut, moved my cursor to 0:00 and pasted.
I then un-did everything for other reasons, but I'll re-do it again later.
Is that what you mean by "align" or is there an less hands-on method?

No there's no simple way, but assuming the tempo is exactly the same for the Sonar metronome and the recorded click it should be one or two steps.

Assuming the click track is recorded on a separate track. Using your cursor, determine the time value of your click's first hit. I think that Sonar if set right will display the time (measure etc) in white letters as the cursor moves along the time line. Determine approximately where the click starts. Then determine the offset from a full measure.

So if the click starts at 1:02:047 or something, you are offset by :047.

Copy the click track from its first hit to its end. (You should Select By Time) Then using Paste special, paste it to a certain time - being 1:02:000. Listen and see if it matches the metronome track all the way through. If yes, then repeat this for all tracks, copying from 1:02:047 and pasting to 1:02:000.

I've copied entire songs (all tracks) at once and pasted them so you can try that to save some time. In Track view hit the "G" key, and "go to" 1:02:047, "Select All" (then hold down the CTRL key and unselect the metronome track so it stays in place). Copy Special whatever you want to move, then Paste Special ("Starting" at your first non-metronome track).

You can also use Nudge (selecting all) and nudge them left or right :047. You can set the nudge parameters in the menu. Nudge was flakey and crashed up to X2 but X3 seems to have fixed that.

After a decade? of Sonar's various permutations, I have learned a few handy shortcuts. It's still a PIA at times trying to figure out how do do something I haven't tried before - the help html's are sometimes vague too. I usually have to do something a couple of times before it's ingrained in my workflow. And Sonar probably has a million features I never use...or don't know about.

Back