Akai MPK49 Transport controls in Sonar

fuzzsniffvoyage

HI!

Okay, I have the MPK49 and can not figure out how to get the transport controls to work in Sonar. I'm on Platinum. The midi controller works just fine on soft synths and the other controls work with the learn function inside Sonar. (Still trying to figure out how to save that info in Sonar so when I open a template the fader controls are already there.)

I have the Akai plugged into the wall for power and am using a midi cable (out) into my Tascam US-1800. I have tried several USB ports on my computer (Sweetwater Creation Station 450, 32GB Ram, i7 bla, bla, bla, not the computer)

It really hasn't been a problem, but I have it so I'd like to use it, and start getting away from computer keyboard for everything.

I've looked on the Akai site and You Tube, and Google's not much help on this either. And I'm gong to Sonar's site next. So if you have an idea I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Fuzzy

So this is where I'm at:

It's not the Akai, I have the preset on Sonar.

I've went in to Sonar Platinum and set the MMC in the project and midi preferences. I also went in to the "Open Project" selected Studio Ware and opened the MMC file.

I'm have a hard time locating the screen where I can input the MMC syntax code.

I've also been looking for a file "mpk49.ssp" that I seen that I should run as a plug in for the midi controller. It's not on the installation disk that came with the MPK49, can not find on Akai's web site.

Does anybody else use the Akai MPK49 with Sonar?

Within Sonar you can create a generic surface (not an ACT surface but a Cakewalk generic surface) and in those settings is a Global section with the transport controls. Select a control (PLAY, STOP, REC, FWD, etc) in the settings and click the Learn button, then press the corresponding button on your MPK49. Click Learn again and you'll see it captured a MIDI message. My keyboard's preset is set up to send MMC messages for the transport buttons, but if you're using the Learn feature then it could probably be set to one of the others (MMC/MIDI or MIDI) in the MPK49. For those that haven't jumped into editing their keyboard's presets, the manual for the MPK49 (not the printed quickstart one but the operator's one on the CD) has a section on editing/saving presets. If you don't have the CD, you can find it online.

I'm using the Platinum edition and I have two surfaces set up, both tied to the MPK49 as in/out. The "generic" one is set up for the transport controls and the "ACT" one is handling the 8 rotator knobs, sliders and buttons.

I hope this helps. I can add more detail if you get stuck.

Back