after track 1 recording...help

ronnyron

Ok, this probably sounds very dumb, but i just got cakewalk 9 and have never used any other version so im new to this. here is my problem, I can record track one but when i go to record track two, i dont hear track one playback as im recording track two... for example, i will record drums on track one, then i will go to record track two which is guitar, but when i hit record, track one (drums) doesnt play back while im recording. I can play back after its recorded and it sounds great , one track or both, but i cant hear track one while im recording track two. im sure their is a simple solution but ive only had this for a few days and can figure it out, any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks

ronnyron,

What's the soundcard you're using? A soundcard has to be capable of full-duplex operation to be able to play and record at the same time. Some cheaper soundcards can't do this; the old SB AWE64 could but the simultaneous playback was at a lower resolution; newer and higher-end cards are pretty much all full duplex these days.

-AlChuck

Hi, Im not sure what my sound card is but i think it is some type of agp on board thing, the computer is over 2 years old and it wasnt that expensive so I imagine that must be the problem, im getting a new gateway soon so hopefully that will fix it, I appreciate the help, thanks

Try going to Tools- Audio options. click the advanced tab. you'll see a checkbox saying enable simultaneous record/playback. make sure its checked.

Good luck
Rich

If it's an onboard sound card it's most likely not full duplex . . . time to order a new sound card . . . then a mixer . . . then a better mic . . . then a compressor . . . then a POD . . . then . . .

dum-dum-dum another one bites the dust !

Regards,
PAPicker

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Torpid-x:
Try going to Tools- Audio options. click the advanced tab. you'll see a checkbox saying enable simultaneous record/playback. make sure its checked.

Good luck
Rich
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey Torpid-x
, i tried it and it worked, thanks alot, ive been trying to figure this out for days, i appreciate it.

Back