Advice on migrating SONAR to a new computer

AlChuck

Hey all, I'm back after many days of gnashing, resuscitating my dead motherboard with a new one, and failing to get the old Windows 98SE installation on my hard drive to boot correctly with all the new system hardware.

Anyway, I finally bit the bullet and decided it was high time to move to XP.

Now I am installing my audio apps, and i have a bit of a problem. Maybe anyone that's been through this before can guide me to the best approach.

Just to be clear, I have been a long-time Cakewalk user and I am using legal, purcheased copies here.

Her's my issue -- when SONAR was released I bought SONAR 1 XL, with the Tassman. When I upgraded to SONAR 2, I decided the extra $$ for the XL stuff wasn't worth it, and just gotr the regular, non-XL edition. So my Tassman DXi was still available to me from the earlier installation.

Now, if I start my reinstall process with the 2.0 CD, I loose my Tassman. But if I start my install with the 1.0 CDs, I have a different problem (aside from the annoyance of having to install one version only to immediately isnatll the next on top, p[lus the patched versions, which have to be done in order, etc.) -- I can't find my 1.0 serial number.

Typically I have written my Serial Number inside the manual. But when I got the 2.0 version I decided that perhaps I might give or sell the old manual to someone who wanted it at some point, and soo I blacked out the number. The little card that cam e with it might be somewhere in my stuff, but it's not iin the folder where it should be.

I am not asking for a serial number. What I do want to know is:

(1) If the last part of the serial number is the same between versions, I'm cool if I know the front part, the bit that identifies the project and version. Can anyone who has both serial numbers handy just verify for me that the last part is the same between the two versions?

(2) Is it possible to install Tassman on its own after installing SONAR 2.0? It appears to be globbed into the SONAR 1.0 install, so I doubt it.

It's not a huge deal, and I can wait a little while, I have lots to do in the meantime -- re-entering 5 months worth of Quicken data that I lost, for example. I'll also try calling Cakewalk and see if they'll give me my number over the phone, if I don';t have to wait too long on hold.

Thanks, guys...

AlChuck said:
Can anyone who has both serial numbers handy just verify for me that the last part is the same between the two versions?
Not the same. :(

Don't know if you can install Tassman by itself, but even if you could, it would seem you would need to launch the Sonar 1 installation disk, which leads you back to problem #1.

BTW, isn't the serial number also on a sticker on the jewel case?

The sticker is the CD Key; you also need the serial number...

On Sonar 2 it is the serial number. But you're right, on Sonar 1 it only has the CD Key.

Sounds like an e-mail to customer service is in order. They should have your registration on file.

If you have registered your product, then you can ask Cakewalk's representative for revealing the serial number. Just tell them your name, ID, etc, and CD key.

Yeah, that's what I did... it really wasn't so painful, didn't have to wait on hold very long at all...

For anyone else doing this that searches and finds this, there is also a trick with enabling the MP3 Encoder... if you call them they'll tell you a special code that allows you to install the MP3 Encoder off the SONAR disks without actually having the previously-installed version from Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 present on the drive.

Thanks, all. I'm up and running again... though I have yet to test out whether the SB Live and the M-Audio Delta still play nice together on this new box...

Alchuck,

I'm intrigued to know why your Win98SE wouldn't boot properly on your new system. I just built myself a new system and it booted fine using Win98SE.

Asus P4PE mobo, P4 2.4GHz, 512MB DDR333 RAM, 120GB 7200rpm HDD.

Just as an aside, you may or may not be aware that I posted question in the Computer Recording & Soundcards BB along the lines of If I lob my old HDD into a new system and switch on, will it boot up?

Well, friends I can now tell you the answer:
Yes it will and yes it did. :)

Windows did keep whining at me that it had found new hardware and was searching for drivers, but yes indeedy diddly doo, it booted.

In fact it kept on booting from the old drive even though I had set the jumpers so that it was slaved to the 120GB drive. A quick browse of the manual revealed that the slave drive is connected to a grey connector on the ribbon cable whereas the master goes on the black connector.

A quick shuffle and all was sweetness and light. :)

--
BluesMeister

What happened to me was that I got this message or something like this:

CONFIGMG: There's a problem and Windows can't load. Reboot into Safe mode.

So I did, and the CD-ROM was not visible.

I suspected it might be the new video card and removed my old one from the Device Manager and ran the setup from the new one (after bootting to floppy and then xcopying the driver CD to my second hard drive). No dice.

Went to Kinko's and rented time on a PC to download the chipset drivers (since I couldn't use the CD-ROM that came with the mobo)., under the advice of a tech at the place I bought the parts from. Ran that, but nothing changed.

Tried running setup, also under advice of the tech; it went on to the point that it finished and reboots, then it told me "found an valid backup copy of the registry, using that," and everything looked exactly the same again.

That was the last straw. I figured I could format my hard drive and reinstall 98 from scratch and then reinstall all my apps but if I was going to go that far I might as well go to XP.

I don't like taking a HD from one system and boot with it on another system at all. For me that has been the quickest way to problems. I recomend a full system re-install (even if that sucks bigtime :()...

moskus said:
I don't like taking a HD from one system and boot with it on another system at all. For me that has been the quickest way to problems. I recomend a full system re-install (even if that sucks bigtime :()...

I agree, I have had some major problems in the past with this.

Paul881 said:
I agree, I have had some major problems in the past with this.

...I kindly can tell...

The major problem was solved when you took another glass of wine, eh ? :D

Alchuck,

When I was setting up my new PC, I did so without the previous HD in the new case but with the new 120GB drive installed.

I fired up the PC sans OS on the 120GB HDD and immediately went into the BIOS. I set the boot sequence to: CD-ROM, Floppy Drive, Primary HDD in that order.

I popped the Win98SE CD into the drive and re-booted. Hey Presto, she booted from the CD-ROM no probs. :)

It was only after connecting the old HDD in the case that it started booting from the old drive. I had been given erroneous advice regarding placement of drives on the ribbon cable.

A quick read of the instruction manual and I was back on track ;)

And yes, I would agree that putting the old drive into a new system without a re-installation of software would not be a sound plan.

However I had asked the question, and now I know the answer. :D

--
BluesMeister

James Argo said:
The major problem was solved when you took another glass of wine, eh ? :D
Nope, for this kind of problems I need a new bottle of wine. :D

Back