Is it worth finding cheap tube pre's for Alesis MultiMix 8?

biffbiffson

Not too long after getting my Alesis MultiMix 8, I wanted to check out a tube pre for it. I tried the low price point single input ART Tube MP and pretty much realized that it was nearly the exact same sound as my mixer's built in pre's (but for $30 extra). Has anyone had any luck with these or other cost effective tube preamps?

Anyone think it's even worth finding a decent tube preamps for this mixer? Or are the built in ones decent enough to get by compared to cheap a cheap tube?

I know there's fantastic tube preamps out there, but I don't plan on spending 4x+ the amount of money I paid for the mixer on those.

Thanks for reading.

The Pres on all of the Alesis low end mixers are junk. I use one as a submixer for keyboards, I would not use it for more than that. Before you invest in an external pre, you want to figure out how you can bypass the the mixer's built in pres. I don't think this is easily done with the Alesis units.

I disagree - Alesis preamps are not junk. They are not Neve 1073's but they do produce decent home recording results. Evidenced by the links in my sig.

Back