Windows 7 recognizes Alesis MultiMix 8 USB but recording is AWFUL loud volume

jmflu

So for starters I have the MultiMix8 USB (NOT the USB 2.0 one) - its this one ( alesis.com/multimix8usb )

Which claims its supposed to be plug and play.

I used it for a long time on windows XP with no problems at all. But on any computer with windows 7 (it gets recognized fine and everything sounds normal in the headphones) but even very small talking into the microphone causes giant waveforms like this

2rml64l.png

To test, I hooked the mixer back up to the computer with XP and didnt change any settings on it at all and it records at normal volumes on XP.

This is a terrible pain having to turn on my old computer every time I want to record, I know this mixer is a bit older but is there a way around this?

please help

Are you sure the waveforms aren't just magnified? Do those clips sound louder or clipped, or do they just look bigger? If they really are that hot is there a software gain control somewhere that's turned way up?

I am sure.

Trust me its messed up and its not just the way it looks. Talking softly into the microphone sounds terribly distorted and loud on windows 7 and it looks/sounds fine on XP with the same settings.

I know that I can lower the recording level on windows 7 sound options, but I literally have to lower it from 100 (default) to '1' or maybe '2' and it never sounds proper even then. Plus I shouldnt have to do that.

What are you recording to? DAW? I'm confused as to why W7 should have anything to do with input level, if your Alesis is your interface. Are you running audio outs from the Alesis to the internal soundcard (1/8" jack on computer)?

oh my apologies for not clarifying

Its a USB mixer that basically takes place of the soundcard.

The levels look fine on the mixer and in my headphones. Ive done a lot of googling on this, and its definitely a windows 7 thing and there is no driver for it (As its claimed to be plug and play)

the only solution people have come up with is going into windows 7 playback devices:properties: and changing the level down to something absurd like 1 out of 100.

Im kinda thinking that this thing is just too old to function with win7 properly and I need to get something newer

Evidently not.....Then you should try the recommended ASIO4All driver listed here. Select it from within your DAW. Which is?

I use acid pro.

And Im a noob with this stuff, but I've tried the ASIO4ALL driver but in my software (Acid) when I go to change it, ASIO4ALL only shows up for my soundcard and the 'USB Audio Codec" (which is what the mixer is called on win7) doesnt show up

it only mentions my sound card

ie

(the audigy 2z is my actual computer soundcard)

20kppp5.png

Hi,

I'm an absolute noob in this stuff and I'm having pretty much the same problem with my Alesis Multimix 4 USB (difference being that mine is USB 2.0 compatible?).

Anyway, I'm finding that to set the gain and/or output volume on the mixer's channel (that I have the mic - Behringer C-1 - connected on the XLR input) to anything above minimum requires that the Windows 7 level for the input needs to be set to 2 or 3 at most.

I'm using Audacity v2.0.0. BTW I Notice that the microphone volume level in Audacity is actually the same thing as the "Windows 7" device input level that you get to through the control panel.

Finally, I have donwloaded and installed the "ASIO4All - Optional ASIO Driver for Windows " linked below (thanks!) but I'm not sure what I need to do for this to have any effect - Assuming I need to do anything at all??

If anyone can shed any light I'd be most appreciative!

Last edited:
Alesis multimix 8 firewire windows 7 driver issues

Hey there,
The net is plagued with reference to windows 7 and firewire issues. The most common recomendation is to switch from the 1394 driver that windows installs by default to the legacy driver - if you search for this fix you will find it. I tried this with the multimix 8 firewire and with windows 7 and the latest drivers from alesis. I could eventually at least get the audio to work but it was plagued still by dropouts and I knew it was not close to the fantastic performance I had experienced with the same hardware in xp.

You are right in saying that asio4all defaults to yourcomputers soundcard and I overcame this issues by disabling all internal soundcards as well as using the lagacy 1394 driver. Now when I load ableton I choose asi04all and the only device it sees and can use is my alesis. It works seamlessly. I think I must be one of the few people on the web who are able to say they have their multimix firewire device working in windows at asio latencies and with no glitch or drop outs whatsoever - happy days.

mrwotevaman

Hello ! Thanks to jmflu for calling help ! Soon I'll have the box 4USB, and was searching the best way to manage it. I found this very informative video. It greatly helps !!! :)
h t t p : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = lc 8 l h 1 f o K M o
( :) just del spaces between signs... (It's my first post ! shhhht...) )

Back