WHAT DO I NEED?

redcake

Here is my dilema.
I have a modest multitrack recording set-up.....
(primarily used for demos, but I like to think I could make a garage, lo-fi album if I had the right pieces)
consisting of the following:

Alesis LX-20 ADAT 8-track.
Tascam 16x4 console.
various mics and processing gear.

I like it this way. simple.
BUT, I need a CD burner, and some quality mix/mastering software.
AND, I want this software to have midi sequencing capabilities as well.....
(to be synched with the ADAT)
I have the computer, a Pentium III PC, 96 meg ram, with lots of hard drive space,
but I need the right soundcard, possibly the most important piece.
I am aware of the Alesis ADAT/EDIT PCR card. supposedly capable getting the tracks into the computer and some minor editing. BUT, I have also seen other cards with ADAT digital I/O, such as the Lexicon Core2, which is capable of much more than the Alesis card.

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND ?
any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Layla 24 (has lightpipe) and Logic Audio Platnium. If you cant afford that get gold.. only diff is plat you can use with pro=tools

The adat pcr card is the low end and has some
inheirant problems and you would probably be
better off going a different route. Just my
two cents worth.

Personally, I had a bad experience with the PCR card. The Lexicon would be a better choice.

I like my Delta 1010 it has built in midi in/out sync word clock + Digital in out (Stereo) + 8 balanced 1/4trs i/o Sounds pretty nice between an adat and a pc to me..
Not that I'm using adat myself Just straight up into my pc. I'm thinking about getting an adat just to dump down into because one of my demo clients was asking about having their recording remixed/mastered at another location. .02c

-Brad

Back