Upgrade to HD24

Andrew_Shot

I've been floating around this forum for a few months now, but this is my first post. I am pretty new to home recording and I have learned tons from posts on here and I am just hoping to get some opinions on my next upgrade.

I currently have 2 blackface adats with lots of hours, i seriously think they are gonna go any minute. I use them to record drums (since I do them outside the "studio" due to space limitations). Then i dump the tracks onto my computer in cubasesx using an RME DIGI 9652 which as 24 channels of ADAT I/O. I then finish my tracking and mixing using Cubase.

Last edited:
I was considering replacing the ADATS and the HD24 looks like the best thing for me. It would be portable and i would be able to interface it with my computer with the RME.

The only problem here is I would need to get an analog mixer, and I've heard so much bad stuff about the behringer mixers that i wanna steer clear of them (even tho i already have some behringer stuff)

I have used mackie mixers before and for the most part i thought they were good. I was thinking about maybe a mackie 24/8 buss. Anybody have this? Anybody using it with an HD24?

I figure i would then be able to track everything on the HD24 dump the audio to computer via RME and edit and add fx and what not. Then run back through the HD24 to the mackie and mix down back to computer.

I was also wondering if the HD24 allows use of digital and analog i/o at the same time?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the multiple posts, it will only let me post so much at a time for some reason.

Even though I've gone for a digital mixer now (01v96) I have used a Mackie 32/8 with the HD24 with no problems - good setup. We used a Behringer for a while (about a day) until the PSU blew up!

On the HD24 you need to slect either digital or analogue input BUT you can in the Utility menu input map - so you can have a mix of both analogue and digitals i/o providing it's feeding different channels.

With your 24 channel card it seems the best option for you. I also had black faced ADATs and upgraded to HD24 and am very, very impressed by it It's been in my studio for just under three years and is stil working as well as when I bought it.

Hope that helps,

Stu

A HD24 is your best choice if you are used to ADATs. I'm not thrilled with the sound of the 8-bus Mackie boards, but they are cost effective and low in noise, that and a HD24 will give you clean, accurate recordings. If you use the Hammerfall card you can bring them into cubase, add plugins and efx. If you can limit the tracks you use, you can also bring the tracks back thru the Hammerfall to the HD24, mix in analog thru the Mackie 8-bus and record your final mix onto 2 tracks of the HD24 & then transfer that to the computer, which would be useful if you grow tired of the mix-in-the-computer sound. If you're doing overdubs in the room along with the HD24, don't hesitate to do the silent fan mod on it, installing a new 80mm fan from pcpower&cooling (http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/cooling/silencerfan/index.htm), it makes a huge difference in the noise level.

Andrew_Shot said:
I have used mackie mixers before and for the most part i thought they were good. I was thinking about maybe a mackie 24/8 buss. Anybody have this? Anybody using it with an HD24?

If you are close enough to CT to make a pick-up, I have a Mackie 24x8 with meterbridge and 2 extra power cables for sale.

1400 bucks (and you pick it up)

The board is in very nice shape, I bought it new about 3 years ago, and only used it for a short time with a TASCAM 16 track reel to reel, then I switched to the computer and haven't used it since.

Thanks everyone for the replies, they were very helpfull.

I wish I could, but im in Ontario with no form of transportation so I would not be able to pick it up. Other wise I would take you up on that offer.

Thanks

Andrew_Shot said:
Thanks everyone for the replies, they were very helpfull.

I wish I could, but im in Ontario with no form of transportation so I would not be able to pick it up. Other wise I would take you up on that offer.

Thanks

It was worth a try! :D

Back