Syncing the HD24 with Ableton live 8

csp2013

Hello, I need to take drum tracks from an Ableton live 8 recording, and put them on individual tracks on the Alesis HD24. How? I am assuming that I will have to Somehow sync tjhem and record each track one by one using mutes on the tracks as I go. Please offer suggestions. New to some of this Digital crap, uh, I meant technology. Oh, I need to do this TOMARROW! HELP!:confused:

Probably first you would copy the tracks out of Ableton by soloing and rendering/bouncing/exporting them one by one into a folder, all from the same start point on the time line. Then use the Fireport to copy those to an HD24 drive, putting each file on the appropriate track. Then put the drive into the recorder. As long as you bounce all the files from the same point on the time line they'll sync up.

Then use the Fireport to copy those to an HD24 drive, putting each file on the appropriate track. Then put the drive into the recorder.
I was going to ask if the sound card/interface with ADAT perhaps, or, how many in analog.. but this is pretty cool.
Is 'assigning them to tracks on the drive a function of (in) Fireport?

Is that Right? So how the hell do I do that?:) What you said sounds right, but I don't understand the terminology I guess, Thank you for your response. Can you help me to better understand this process, or am I just toooo new technology challenged! There are no reels of tape in my future are there?:(

What cables will I need, and how will I be able to designate the track number with the drive out of the HD24?

Put the desired track number at the end of the file name. A name like "snare 02.wav" will end up on track 2. If there aren't track numbers at the ends of file names I think the software (FST Connect) will ask what track to place each file in.

Do you have the Fireport accessory? It connects the drive caddy to a computer via Firewire. Otherwise you have to use the Ethernet connector on the recorder which is brutally slow. Alternatively you might be able to install the drive in a computer (don't format it) and read it with HD24 Tools.

I am not sure about the fireport accessory, I am going to do some digging this morning. Thank you so much for the info, its kind of like a puzzle right now, and you just gave me another edge piece:)

Thanks BSG :)

You can actually bounce all the tracks tracks at once. You will see it on the drop down menu when exporting. If you are exporting from Arrangement view, it will go to the end, if you are in Session view, you may need to set the length of the export.

Is this possible through Ethernet, as I am afraid this is my only option, and is a standard Ethernet cable going to suffice?

Is this possible through Ethernet, as I am afraid this is my only option, and is a standard Ethernet cable going to suffice?

Well, are you saying you can only connect your machine through an Ethernet cable? If you can see the hard drive, you can export it. It would be just a typical network drive export.

Strike the above. OK, so your machine uses an FTP server to communicate with other computers. You will need to connect to the HD24 to a network hub/router (maybe direct access, but a hub would be easier), once you know the machines IP address (check documentation as it is probably a fixed IP), you can get an FTP client software (FileZilla works really well), set it up per HD24 instructions), export you tracks to your computer hard drive (pay attention where it exports too), using the FTP software, find the source files, copy them to your HD24.
(Steen, this is what I was talking about in Linux, this machine probably uses the Linux Kernal)

It sounds a little complex, but work with it and after a few tries, it will be easy as pie. So, to make sure, get your HD24 on your network, using FTP software, find it, once you see the machine, you can move your files around from one machine to the other rather easily.

I hope I helped. I am trying.

Last edited:
Well Im getting closer, I can get the files on the drive,but they are wrong, Any suggestions?????
? The sound is like the digital distortion or clipping or something, very unpleasant, and probably not real good for the console.

Well Im getting closer, I can get the files on the drive,but they are wrong, Any suggestions?????
? The sound is like the digital distortion or clipping or something, very unpleasant, and probably not real good for the console.

Not sure which way you are going, but it could be a bit rate issue. I suggest you make sure what you capture is at the correct bit rate and when recording, double check your levels. These are the only two things I can think of that could cause this.

Are bit rate and sample rate the same thing, if so, both machines are using 44.1. possibly the recorded levels were way too high? but the files sound fine on the computer they were recorded on.??????????????????? Thanks for the response, I refuse to give up. :confused:

Are bit rate and sample rate the same thing, if so, both machines are using 44.1. possibly the recorded levels were way too high? but the files sound fine on the computer they were recorded on.??????????????????? Thanks for the response, I refuse to give up. :confused:

Yes.

Check on the computer at the wave levels and see if there a peak spots that are flat. You will see pretty quick they are loud, to if you are rendering them that the final outputs are too high as Ableton will process them either through the track and the master buss or just through the track (depending on how you are exporting). So, check your outputs there as well. It could be you are boasting them too much during the processing.

So, check list - look at the original sound file. Make sure it is not clipping there. Check the track output and make sure it is not clipping (when you export, it is processing it), if you are exporting through the master track, make sure it is not clipping.

Hope this helps.

Thank You, The checklist is perfect for me, simple,step by step works great for me. I will post the rsults when I am done.

well I am sorry to report that the bit length change made no difference, checked the levels in ableton, did the transfer again, everything works as expected, but the tracks are unplayable, they sound like digital distortion/feedback/clipping. trying a new interface timarrow, instead of hooking the HD24 drive to the DVD drive electronics in my desktop. the interface is usb to ide conversion. wish me luck.:thumbs up:

When you transfer the files to the HD24 and play them back, what are the Vu meters on the HDF24 reading, are they about 3/4 way up (green into yellow) or are they at the very top (red)?

If they are not peaking (ie red) then the level going to the HD24 is OK and the problem lies somewhere back in the computer.

Although it has been discontinued by Alesis, I would definitely try looking for the Alesis Fireport unit on e-baby or some of the retail outlets. Remember that you will require a Firewire (standard size) output /card on your computer. If the software (HD24 Connect) does not come with the unit (if buying second hand/e-bay/etc) you can download this from the Alesis (discontinued products section) web site --- the latest version even allows you to control the record/play functions from your computer (although I prefer the remote control or BRC unit).

I have two HD24's sync locked and use the Fireport unit regularly.

Just a word of advice --- if copying tracks where there are a number of parts or versions, make sure you name the tacks by alphabet rather than numbers (eg "Strings A" and "Strings B" rather than "Strings 1" and "Strings 2") because if you use numbers the copying system will either fail or it will overwrite other tracks. I have no idea why this is but when I first experienced the problem it took me hours of frustration to work out why some tracks (eg Guitar, Kick, Snare, etc) would copy perfectly but other tracks (eg Voc 1, Voc 2, Lead Guit 1, Lead Guit 2) would fail. Took an International phone call to Alesis to get the answer --- but it is not mentioned in any documentation !!!!!!!!!

Hope the above helps a bit.

By the way, just looked and there is currently a Fireport on e-Bay for $US 249 from a dealer in Texas.

David

Back