SR18 Drum Machine... Back up battery?

superspit

idiots unite!
Hi peeps , my unit loses memory, specifically the tempo last used when the unit is switched off, regardless of running on AA batteries or AC. Presets are fine. I'm quite prepared to open her up but thought it prudent to ask if anyone else has had the experience or issue. Cheers.

How do you have the tempo set per the image below? If it's PERPAT the tempo is stored with the patch and should return to that value when the machine powered on. If the GLOBAL is like my SR16(SR16 only has GLOBAL), the tempo is retained and will store its last set value when powered on.

Attachments

• sr18.jpg
    sr18.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 0
I use mine in Global mode, and it always returns to 130 bpm regardless of what tempo I was actually using. Must be the backup battery?

Do you have any USER patterns that have disappeared? If it retains those I don't think it's a battery problem. Not even sure a new machine such as the SR-18 would have a battery. The SR-16 does have a backup battery .

Do you have any USER patterns that have disappeared? If it retains those I don't think it's a battery problem. Not even sure a new machine such as the SR-18 would have a battery. The SR-16 does have a backup battery .
Well, I hope it has a battery!! I don't have any user patterns onboard, but all my settings reset to standard on power down. I was hoping that the architecture was similar to sr16. Gees, hope there is a battery onboard!!!

Oh, the unit WAS NEW, about 7 or 8 years ago!! It maybe even older! I bought one of the first iterations, before they were even sold in Australia!!

Give this a try.....

"FACTORY RESET
To restore the SR18’s factory presets, hold the SAVE / COPY button and ERASE button simultaneously
while turning on the SR18.
NOTE: This will erase all user data, including User Drum Sets, Patterns, Songs, etc."

I can't find anything that would hint at the SR-18 having a memory battery, but it's fairly easy to check. Popped the cover on mine (six screws, one was hidden under a sticker, and on the SR-16 pull the volume knob). Purchased this Dec 1992 ($334.95US) and still retains USER stuff I've programmed with the original battery. I probably should change it out :rolleyes:

Attachments

• sr-16.jpg
    sr-16.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 5

Ok, reset successful, but refuses to retain user sets. I'm going in. Wish me luck.

Okaaaaaay.... I went in (nicely built device!) but no battery., as such, might be an E^2 type memory. So I checked the way I was attempting to save my user settings, and I forgot to save each one as I was changing it!! Simple forgetfulness. Save each function you change in user settimgs as you scroll through, now the machine is brilliant again. I'm such a fook!

Okaaaaaay.... I went in (nicely built device!) but no battery., as such, might be an E^2 type memory. So I checked the way I was attempting to save my user settings, and I forgot to save each one as I was changing it!! Simple forgetfulness. Save each function you change in user settimgs as you scroll through, now the machine is brilliant again. I'm such a fook!

That appears a bit different than the SR16 in that if the tempo is set to global it just retains the tempo setting without performing any kind of save action. Good to hear you got it sorted out.

Back