SR-16 FILL feature failing to swap between A and B pattern

robmakesmusic

Hi All and thanks for reading/responding

I haven't used my SR 16 in about a year and a half as I'd bought the SR 18 but really don't love it all that much so wanted to use the 16 again. Had it repaired a while back as the volume wheel was crackling and failing to affect the volume reliably and I thought I might sell it. So I hooked it up to use it this afternoon and all is well but the Fill button no longer behaving as expected. Instead of adding a fill and switching to the Preset Pattern's A or B sub pattern, it just adds a fill and remains on A or B. So I can only swap to A from B or vice versa using the actual A or B buttons. This issue is the same whether using the button on the unit or the footswitch and persists even with the foot switches and midi cables all disconnected.

I have not performed a factory reset as I have a lot of User patterns and songs on there that took hours to compose, I may wish to use some day and am reluctant to risk losing if not necessary. But I will try this if no one has any other suggestions. I couldn't find any posts related to this issue anywhere online so doubt it's a known issue with these warhorse units and am wondering if there's some setting or something I've inadvertently triggered that is causing this. That or perhaps the tech who repaired the unit might have accidentally done something while replacing the volume control.

Thanks again and have a great 2016

Been playing with my SR-16 lately and have it setup presently, so I tried the excerpt from the manual below. It does sound sort of like what yours is doing, but I'm guessing you're just hitting the button or footswitch briefly to trigger the fill, which should allow the transition. When you hit the fill button does it display "NEXT PATTXX A or B" opposite of the current pattern?

Probably going to need a factory reset.

"However, Fills do not have to be transitional Patterns. If you press the FILL button (or
footswitch) before the Fill has finished playing and hold it down until after the Fill has played
(i.e., past the downbeat of the next Pattern), the SR-16 will return to the original Main Pattern.

Example: Suppose an 8-beat A Main Pattern is playing and you press the FILL button on beat
4 but hold it down past beat 8. The A Fill Pattern will play the last 4 beats, then the SR-16 will
return to the A Main Pattern."

Thanks for the response arcaxis.

I neglected to mention in my initial post that I was aware of the non-transitional feature of FILL and had tried both methods. When holding the footswitch or the button until the end of the pattern, nothing happens at all except that the pattern continues. No fill is triggered. Only by releasing the button (or tapping the switch) would a fill be triggered but it would not transition to the related sub-pattern. So if I tap the fill button, it would act as if I'd held it until end of pattern and if I held it, nothing would happen.

Oddly, the issue has become further complicated now and I'm convinced that a factory reset is the only logical approach at this point. After powering the unit off and on a few times on the weekend, the issue seemed to resolve itself and the Fill button was behaving as expected but then the unit was intermittently stopping on its own while I was jamming with my buddy even though no buttons or footswitches were triggered.

Now I'm just going to back up the existing User Songs to individual audio tracks and do the reset in the hopes that all returns to normal.

Thanks again!

What you should do is use the outs and download your patterns onto your line input on PC/audio interface so you have them saved. You might be able to move them as a midi file and then put them back on the machine (I forget if this is possible, but if it's a midi file you can edit it in software on the PC, most likely).
Then do a factory reset. SR-16 is an awesome machine. I made all my demos in the late 90s on that.

Hi all and happy 2016 to ya!

Just wanted to check in and report back that a system backup followed by a factory reset and then a restoration of the system dump has had the desired results!

All features functioning as intended and expected!

Thanks for all the generous help!

Cheers

Rob

Back