SR-16 drum machine

dlea@wipfli.com

Has anyone tried out the Alesis SR-16 drum machine? It seemed like a good option for an affordable and programmable unit. How is the sound? I already ordered one, but it would be nice to know what to expect.

Thanks.

Well, you are kind of stuck with it now.... :D

They are an average sounding unit. Haven't used one for about 4 years now, but seem to remember that they sound okay.....the song and pattern writing options are more the point of any cheaper drum machine though, and those features I don't remember on that unit.

Ed

I have a SR-16, and Ed is right it's average. The drum sounds are not real enough to fool you. I would say the crash cymbal and the toms are pretty lame. The rest of the drums are fair to poor.

From what I've heard in the mp3 clinic, the Boss machines seem to sound more like real drums. They also have more memory, and sound editing features.

I think the drum machine that sound more like real drums is the one to get.

I don't like my SR-16 at all...it's hell to program and the manual is very unclear....you can however do some major tweaking with eq/some effects and get a pretty good sound...takes lots of patience to use the thing .....years ago I had a Boss dr rhythm that was much better...I don't know what happened to it for sure, but maybe it was stolen unless I loaned it out in a drunken stupor....gibs

The only thing the SR-16 is good for is the bottom line for Alesis. You might find better but you won't pay more.

The Alesis is barely passable,and not good enuff for any kind of a recording situation.
For that price ckeck out a Boss machine.I bought a Boss DR Groove ($350.00) it's pretty
good for some of the applications I needed it
for. One important thing prior to purchasing
any drummachine,sound module,etc. go to a music store and always audition and ask awhole bunch of questions before you spend your hard earned dollars.I buy anything unless i check it out and have some idea on
how to use it. Just my 1 and half cents.
(Which I earned today! :) )

Thanks for the input. I should have found this site sooner. I managed to get my Alesis for $199.00. Hopefully it will at least sound better than my keyboard drum sound (mid-80's technics).
Next time I will ask first and buy smart!

Don't be bummed,

The SR-16, even with it's flaws, can open up a whole new musical world for you.

If you have never had a drum machine before, you will have a blast!!!!

We are here to encourage, believe it.

Thanks, GT.
I got my SR-16 last night, tried it out, and it is so much better than the keyboard drum sound I was using, I do not regret my purchase. I paid $199.00 new, and while it may not compare with higher priced, more up-to-date models, it is going to improve my projects a lot! Thanks to everyone for the input. It's great to have a place to ask, and to have so many people help out!

Not to make any assumptions about how much time and energy people have put into learning their gear, but I have to wonder when I see comments like these.

It reminds me of the guy bitching about his 3630 compressor being noisy when he was running his bass guitar directly into a line level device.

The SR-16 is an extremely flexible device. I'll agree that it's, perhaps, not easy to learn to use, but I disagree that there's anything unclear about the manual. It's a very complex device, and it takes a while to learn how to use it, like any complex device.

It shouldn't take you very long to get to the point where you can make things sound really good, but you can create some AMAZING sounds with it if you invest the time.

If you doubt this, just press the "Demo" mode and take a listen. Anything you hear in the demo, the machine can do if you learn enough about it.

I'll agree that the toms don't sound like real toms, but my drummer has a $5000 Roland V-drum kit, and guess what? The toms don't sound like real toms on that either. So far, I haven't heard anything digital that can replicate the complex dynamics of a tom, especially with fast hits.

My only real complaint about the SR-16 is that there's no china cymbal patch. ;-)

In my opinion, for the money, the SR-16 is a great piece. If you put some time into learning to use the more advanced functions (and more importantly, learn how to program a drum machine well), it'll pay off for you.

It helps if you are a drummer, or can think like one.

CT

I like it!

Most of the stuff I do is radio jingles and background tracks (I gave up the rock star aspiration a long time ago) and much stuff is pretty much totally midi and vocals.
I also use it with our band live to add congas, etc. to our mix along with our regular drummer's work. To me, the SR16 sounds so much better than the GM drum sets on any of my synths and I didn't find it that difficult to learn. (According to some of the other comments, I DO want to check out some of the BOSS machines and compare the difference for myself. But I still like my SR16) To each his own - ;)

mutt

I have had an Alesis sr-16 drum machine for a few months and it is really for me to work with when the drummer is gone a lot now that his woman moved to NEW York, but I am confused as to the prgramming can I Download some other presets from a site plug into a 1/8 inch line in on my computer and it will give me drum presets that do not sound over doing it ie. I would just like snare, kick and high hat beats with a few fills now and then and ocational a/b variation changes, to record with and practice bass when the drummer is not here, is this possible. Do I need to buy a MIDI to 1/8 inch cable connection cause I do not have a keyboard or MIDI in ON my 1992 Packard Bell 16mb ram and 133 processor? Sorry I am new to this Computer recording I am an anolog 4 tracker (relatively new to that also)

Back