Questions about Alesis Multimix 4

RunTmb

Hey there everyone,
along with being a new member here, I am fairly new to home recording. I have been using audacity and the default mic array for my guitar and vocals, so i have a basic knowledge of mixing. In pursuit for better audio quality i have purchased an Alesis Multimix 4 channel usb mixer and a Shure SM86 condenser mic. I have heard that there are some problems with the multimix as far as backround noise. Also i have found a couple remedies for the situation, like downloading a different asio system than the standard one on my computer (windows 7) or turning down the original recording mic in the control panel. I was wonding if anyone had any expirience in this situation and what the best remedy was for said situation. So being a 4 channel mixer, in theory wouldn't you be able to plug in 1 mic and 3 guitars? Or 4 mics, 1 being vocals and 3 guitars or bass and what not. I know that channels 3 and 4 are stereo inputs so i'm not 100% sure on what the capabilitites are for them. My third and final question is, is their any other software i can download to improve anything in the recording process using the equipment i have?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Back