Question about the Alesis IO2

Pmaurer

I've had my IO2 for a couple months now and I've noticed that I cannot get the LEDs to respond on the system. They light up when I plug it into the computer, but only for a split second, same for when I unplug the system. When I've got my cab mic'ed up, Cubase reads what's coming into it just fine, but the LEDs do not light up on the system to show me the dB levels. The only way I can actually get them to light up is if I literally hit my Sennheiser e609 with my hand....and hard too. Is there something wrong with mine?

Just a couple of required questions to clear them out of the way.
-Do you have the input switch set to analog?
-Are you turning up the gain?

The e609 is designed for guitar cab micing so you may have to get the amp level pretty high to reach -20dB (the lowest segment on your meter)
Just for a test you could plug something else in the input. If you have another mic - maybe a condenser. You could also try plugging a keyboard, or even your guitar into the line/guitar input. Maybe you amp has a line out you could try

Input switch? There isn't any kind of switch like that on my IO2...unless what you are talking about resides in cubase or something like that...

My gain has been at 0 to prevent clipping....but that's something to think about, I could try and play around with that.

hmm.....

Input switch? There isn't any kind of switch like that on my IO2...unless what you are talking about resides in cubase or something like that...

My gain has been at 0 to prevent clipping....but that's something to think about, I could try and play around with that.

hmm.....

The io2 has an analog/digital input switch. You must have the io2 "express" which does not have the switch. You definitely need turn up the gain until you get a signal on the meters. You are not clipping the preamp until you get close to 0dB (on your unit). Once you have the preamp level correct, you can adjust the input level in cubase to avoid clipping there.

That was definitely the solution, thank you! However, I don't know where in Cubase I can control the input levels....I did turn the gain up on my IO2 and now I am seeing the LEDs....but the Cubase recordings are VERY distorted and muddy...

On second thought, Cubase is probably not the place to set the input gain. Since the io2 doesn't come with any mixer app, you will have to set the gain using the sound control for your computer. For windows try turning down the input levels in control panel -> sound -> recording devices.

Back