quadraverb

captax

if someone with experience with quadraverb please advise where a good starting point to add a little reverb to vocals. trying not to make a vocal heavy with reverb. someone suggested to start with small plate and adjust from there. there is so many varibles that it is confusing. thanks
jim

The short answer is to just get in and try this stuff out.
How about some starting questions;
Which functions do you not yet understand?
Do you have the manual?
What would be an example of one of the effects you'd like to get?

I use reverb sparingly, and have a cunning plan. You place the 'verb on a send, then adjust the send and return pots to get the level you need. In this fashion, huge reverbs can become delicate flowers with little effort. Hope this helps!

reverb

thanks for your reply- if i understand your post- you control the reverb by the send and return.
captax

That's it exactly. You can find your intial settings on the 'verb by fiddling about with it mixed high, then bring down the send and return to taste. I usually try to get a good strong signal to the 'verb via the send, and use the return to adjust the amount of it in the mix.

Flangerhans said:
That's it exactly. You can find your intial settings on the 'verb by fiddling about with it mixed high, then bring down the send and return to taste. I usually try to get a good strong signal to the 'verb via the send, and use the return to adjust the amount of it in the mix.

The send and return pots (if your mixer even has these, the Mackie 1604 has them) are for optimising gain; you shouldn't be fiddling with them, that's what Aux 1, 2, etc., on each channel strip is for.

Unless I'm missing something?

Well, I was genericising the whole thing to apply to any mixer, effects send to effect return, aux send and return, basically just send the signal to the reverb then bring it back into the board with a pot. Simple stuff, but the nomenclature varies.

Flangerhans said:
Well, I was genericising the whole thing to apply to any mixer, effects send to effect return, aux send and return, basically just send the signal to the reverb then bring it back into the board with a pot. Simple stuff, but the nomenclature varies.

Genericizing, cunning plans, sending to return huge reverberating flower pots and varying nomenclature.

Got it.

Depends on whether you want to use it as an insert on an individual channel or to an aux send to serve multiple vox. If its just for a single voice, use the channel insert and set the mix on the Q-verb as your ear dictates. If its on an aux send - aux return, set the verb mix on the unit at 100%. The individual channel send knobs will determine the wet-dry levels that way. If I haven't been clear, the dedicated mix button on the Q-verb accesses several pages of parameters related to mixing the wet - dry levels onboard the unit.

Back