QS8 lightpipe into pc

dragonworks

Banned
I have an alesis qs8 and an alesis pcr card
in my computer. Can I go directly into the pc
through the lightpipe using the adat pcr card
and how would I go about setting parameters on the qs8 and whatever needs to be set in the computer? Which software can I record to?
I have adat edit, cakewalk, cubase. Do I open
a software application and record directly into that or where does the signal get recorded to?(da)

I hate to tell you this - but... unless you want to record the QS8 to the PC to alter the AUDIO and then dump it to an ADAT, then this setup is about worthless. The PCR card has too many limitations. If you want to route your keyboard through your PC, then you might want to look into a MOTU 2408.

I am not quite sure what you are trying to do. If you want to control your keyboard with your PC and sync it with your recorded audio, I suggest using MIDI. I would also get an external mixer (something small) to mix your audio from the PC with the sounds from your keyboard.

Fishmed

I have a mackie 1604. I wanted to just drop in one track at a time over the lightpipe. When I do it with the adat I use
adat connect and I have no problems dropping
whats been recorded to tape into the pc. Maybe I can go into the adat from the qs8 with the lightpipe and then into the pcr card
to the pc? Whatever, I will be experimenting
shortly with it an I will let you know what
I come up with, if anything. Alesis techs told me I could record diretly into the pcr via the lightpipe from the qs8 into the pc.

Fishmed

I plugged the lighpipe into the computer
from the qs8 and recorded on adat edit. I
tried recording another track but it didn't come out(2). Tried moving track one to two but after I moved it there was no audio. Copied track one to 5, got audio, erased 1 and recorded on 1 again. In control panels set multimedia out to computersound card and
record to adat pcr. Was able to monitor while
recording. It first recorded on tracks 1 and
4 and I don't remember arming 4. I also noticed at this time that after the track number in the arrangment page there is usually a mute and a record but for some reason there was no record button on 2 and 3.
Thats the reason I wound up copying track 1 to 5. I tried just moving it to 2 and 5 and
I couldn't get any audio out of it allthough
when I opened the waveform window for that track I could see the waveform there? I will
go at it again soon, worked all day and its
10:15 I'm about done here for today

Wow! That seems like a lot of work. I am supprised that you dont hook up a MIDI connection between your PC and QS8, then hook up the audio out of your QS8 to your Mackie. You could set your Keyboard to it's 16 track mode (I believe it is a mix patch on the board), then you can have up to 16 diferent MIDI instruments going at one time. I do understand though, if you are using more than that, you would need to record track to audio. If you haven't used MIDI yet, you would be supprised of how much control you can have over your music. Just some thoughts.

What interface do you use to get your audio from your PC to your Mackie? Does the PCR Card work with Cakewalk? I am interested to see if you can get your setup working the way you want it to. If you get it working I know your efforts will be appreciated here on the BBS. Seems like the ADAT PCR card has given several people some heartache.
Good Luck!

I have allready done some midi work with my
mcintosh using opcode software. I am aware
of the control you have over the music but
have not tried midi with my pc yet. I have
never mixed midi with wav files yet either. I did a fifteen track classical piece in midi
With macs its very easy, just a serial connector is all it takes. To drop tracks out
of the pc back to the adat you use the pcr card in reverse after editing and it will drop it anywhere on a tape you set it up.
You can still only drop 8 tracks at a shot.
I should be able to do midi and run it out
of my mac into the qs8 then digitally out of
the qs8 stereo through the lightpipe into the
pc as a wav file?? At least it looks that way. I haven't had much time lately to experiment but as I go along I will keep you posted. Have to bring my mac bac home. I wouldn't want to use the midi sounds on my
cards when I can use the qs8 as my sound module. It wasnt alot of work, probably just
something stupid I overlooked. I am sure it
is easier to operate than that. Plugging the
light pipe in is a piece of cake. I am just
not that familiar with software. I was able
to drop tracks down through adat connect and
then transfer them into cakewalk and work on them there. I never tried to drop them back down from cakewalk to the adat though. I will
give it a try when I get everything hooked back together. My computer is here with my
keyboard and my mac and recording equipment
is where the cover band I am playing with practices.

Back