Powered amps or Powered active speakers???

tribal

Hello, I have Multimix16 f/w and I want to use it for live sound. :confused: I don't know that if I should go for using powered amp with normal speakers or active powered speakers? Please let me know your idea or experienced.

Thanks in advance, Van

tribal said:
Hello, I have Multimix16 f/w and I want to use it for live sound. :confused: I don't know that if I should go for using powered amp with normal speakers or active powered speakers? Please let me know your idea or experienced.

Thanks in advance, Van

The type of board (the Multimix) won't matter for your output issues. Your choices are active (powered) speakers, or passive (non-powered) speakers with a power amp.

There are a lot of choices out there for both active and passive speakers, and power amps, but you're probably better off getting a decent pair of active monitors. It's an "all in one" solution, and you'll probably end up saving some money going that way. You need to decide how much power (wattage) you want out of your speakers. And if portability is important, not having a power amp means less stuff to carry.

One is not more "normal" over the other.
The JBL Eons are a great pair of active speakers. Just one example.

http://www.jblpro.com/eong2/

$.02

while i have powered monitors here in my room.. for outside work i would prefer unpowered type as it will give you options should you decide to upgrade at some future date,,,,FWIW

Depends on what the livestuff would be. If it's a light acoustic set you'd like to be fit in a small car, I prefer powered speakers. But if the thing is going to grow massive someday, buy them separatly so you can upgrade the set easily.

And even it's big, you can always use the activespeakers as monitors. It's a bit how you like it. Do you want to plug power to every speaker or just speakercables.

And if they blow up, for example the fuse, one powered speaker is off but if poweramp blows the mainfuse, it's quiet all the way.

Both are good choices.

thanks for the input there, I just to let you know I bought a brand new unpowered speakers which could hold 500 w/ 8 ohms, and I bought a used powered amps 800 w from ebay. It was meant for about 100 audience maybe more.I haven't tried them yet cos I'm in the midst of setting up my home studio. I was thinking buying active spekers at first butit's just too expensive for me, for 500 w/ 8ohms they cost around AU $ 1500! I wish I lived in US sometimes :P cos I saw alot good stuff I want to get there.

Cheers, V for Van

Back