Possible problem with new HD24

HangDawg

bUnGhOlIo
I just got the HD24 this week. I having some strange shit happen. Here's the scenario. I have a soundtracs console, standard inline format, 32 channel. Each channel has tape send and tape return. There is a button on each channel strip to monitor either line/mic in (which is record mode) or the tape return (which is mix mode) My problem arrises when the HD24 is not playing and I am in mix mode for any channel. If the fader is up around 0, I get a horrible feedback loop on that channel (or so it appears) It's kind of like an oscillation. I happens even sooner on the fader if I have the eq switched in any some freq. boosted. Thing is, this doesn't happen when the HD24 is playing, only when it's stopped. So what happens is I could be mixing a couple of tracks and as soon as I hit stop, WHAMM! horrible feedback. What the hell could be wrong?

Never mind. I figured it out. It only happens when then channel is armed for record. There must be some kind of loop from input to output going on.

If you're running the I/O to a patchbay, you don't want the INs/OUTs of the HD24 normalled together....

For multitrack PB you'd wire the buss outs to the top of 1 bay which is normalled to the bottom containing the multitrack inputs.

Then you have a 2nd bay with multitrack outputs on top, normalled to the bttom containing the tape returns for the console.

Well, it's right in the manual. I was creating a loop and didn't know it. I just need to make sure that record enable is off before I start to play back.

HangDawg said:
Well, it's right in the manual. I was creating a loop and didn't know it. I just need to make sure that record enable is off before I start to play back.

put it in "auto input" monitoring mode, then you will not have to unarm all your tracks just to play the take back.

Thanks, I'll have to try that. So far so good though. I think I will like it once I get used to it. It's really a whole different way to work after using Cubase for so long.

Back