My 3630 has performed great over the years... what gives?

I have 3 3630's 2 I bought when they were first released and another a few years later. Still use them and never had a problem, some people just don't like them but a lot must like them as they sold them for a lot of years.

Alan.

There are different opinions on the 3630 primarily because there are three different versions. IMO the second and third revisions are best. In the second revision you'll find some component upgrades stock from the factory that Black Lion is well known for doing on the original 3630. There is also some user error going on because the 3630 is a full-featured comp/limiter and thus a bit much for people as a first comp. It's easy enough to learn, but many people don't get that far before complaining.

The links to the mods from Blue Jinn are great, but I wouldn't disable the noise gate myself. Replacing one of the dbx ICs with one made by THAT corporation is something you'll see in revision 2 from the factory and it makes a difference.

Its quiet and I have used it for years... can't complain, would recommend.

So, does "it's quiet" mean that no signal is going through it now?

If this is true, does it light up? If no, is the wall wart plugged in to the AC outlet? Is the wall wart cable fully plugged into the DC inlet on the back of the unit? If it is, then your wall wart is probably shot - check it with a DMM to see if it's still pumping out 9vDC. If it does light up, have you checked that your input and output cables are pushed into the jacks all the way? If they are, is what ever is connected to the 3630 producing a signal?

Have you moved the 3630 recently? If yes, the wall wart cable might have become dislodged. Or, if you have other gear that uses a wall wart, check to see that you've got the correct one plugged into the 3630.

A few things to consider...

You are correct. When the forum is basically bashing the 3630... I thought I would question why. I bought mine new many years ago. Never had a problem. Quiet=no hum or added noise. Very satisfied if my x was this good ..and quiet...I might still be married.

1st let me say I like my 3630's, I have a few, but as a bass player, the 3630, is not a good choice, I always cut the gate out of mine, and use them for light compression and for side chain,

Back