MultiMix 12 Firewire - Can't update firmware

jweder

Hi folks,

I've had a hell of a battle getting the new (June 2007) drivers to properly install for my MultiMix 12 Firewire. After many, MANY attempts, along with trying to replace both the PCMCIA card and the cable (neither of which helped), uninstalled Windows Media player and Symantec Antivirus, etc etc, I finally got it to install all the drivers. Had to do it a back-door way. At first it would only install the first driver - Multimix Audio. I went in to Device Manager, right clicked on Multimix Audio and selected Update Driver. This one time it worked, still not sure why.

Once I got the drivers working, I got into CuBase and mucked around until I could see all of the audio tracks. The Alesis instructions for this are totally lame! But the unit does work now, pretty much as advertised.

Alesis Tech Support was helpful at first, but they've been either ignoring me or just too busy to bother writing back for several days now. Of course, "helpful" is all relative. They suggested I upgrade my firewire card, before telling me anything about checking for any possible software problems. Cost me $80 for that dang card!

The one real remaining problem is that neither the Firmware Update Utility nor the Control Panel program will recognize the mixer. It's not the end of the world, but sure would be nice to know I've got the latest firmware in the mixer. This is so goofy - how can everything else work but these two things? Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!

(Just found this forum today. Woo Hoo!!)

Joel

IBM ThinkPad T41
1 GB RAM
WinXP SP2
Belkin PCMCIA Firewire

Hey Skew,

Yeah, I figured out how to do that. So now I've got all the input channels coming into the pc no problem, and the 2 output channels too. Just that the "updated" new Alesis programs can't see the mixer. :mad:

Joel

Bit of a clarification here... I am able to see FOUR ASIO driver choices:

- Alesis Firewire
- ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver
- ASIO Multimix
- ASIO Multimedia Driver

The "CubaseLE_Recording_Tutorial.pdf" document on the Alesis website says that I should use a driver called Multimix Firewire, but that is not a choice! Alesis Firewire and ASIO Multimix are both possibilities, but only one of them will work for me.

I can choose ASIO Multimix, and that will work. If I attempt to choose Alesis Firewire I get an error that states "ERROR opening handle to Dicell. (2)" So there's really no choice in the matter at all, at this point.

Joel

hmmmmmmmmm sounds like you have something software wise that is not routeing correctly you could have a corrupt file or a driver that is clashing with it if you use a sound blaster card the drivers sometime cause problem with other devices you may need to disable them in your sound properties and selct the multmix if all else fails... try save your work reformat your hard drive and reinstall xp then install your drivers another thing is the order you start your system up for cubase.... start computer then turn on mixer then start cubase hope this helps

Back