More 3630 fun

Industrial

Thought I'd rehash the usual 3630 thread... because I know that there are some people who just desperate need their daily/weekly "fix". They can't go a week without saying what a great paperweight it makes.... So, consider this your weekly therapy, if thats you.

Anyway, my question is more serious. I was scanning through some old messages on compressors, my primary gear of interest,... and the one thing I could not find was the specific reason for disliking the 3630... other than people claiming it colored the signal.... but nothing more substantial than that.... or for that matter, nobody ever seems to get into the technical details of much any piece of equipment (perhaps I'm also guilty... so whatever).

I'd like to know, in detail, what all of the little eccentricities are of the 3630.... in engineering terminology preferably... leaving out the "it just sucks" comments.

I've never owned a 3630, but I know alot of amateur musicians who come to me for advice in regarding eqpt. I often get asked about the 3630.... guess its the flashy appearance and lights that makes it so popular among amateurs.... I want to know what to tell my amateur musician friends... when they ask me why they shouldn't buy this piece of equipment. Telling them "it sucks" will unfortunately not dissuade them, I need to be more specific.

The ones I used added noticable artifacts to the signal, especially in conjunction with the gate (little clicks & pops as the gate engaged/disengaged)...

I also found that it tends not to like signals at the higher gain structure too much -- the circuits clip very easily in that case.

Also, it does color the sound - even if the unit is bypassed......

All in all - for the same price, you can get a better unit from other manufacturers, so iI tend to recommend avoiding it.

BLUE BEAR> The ones I used added noticable artifacts to the signal, especially in conjunction with the gate (little clicks & pops as the gate engaged/disengaged)...

----------------

Ah yes, the ol' gate clicking....

The Alesis CLX-440 also does the clicking.... but only on the attack (never on the tail end of the signal).... but you can minimize it by just setting it right... so thankfully Alesis fixed that problem (almost) on their better unit.

However, I own several noise gates, and I've yet to see a model that doesn't click to some very minor extent... sometimes it's only noticeable when you load the track up in computer software and then you catch it..... I believe that many noise gates have always clicked; premium brand equipment included.... but it just gets buried in the mix.... and you never really hear it.

What model noise gates do you use that don't click? Just wondering...

Anyone else have suggestions..

With the DAW editing available, I hardly ever use gates anymore, but the gates on the DBX166xl's comps don't produce any clicks at all.... clean as a whistle......

The 3630's gates are adequate in controlling some "hiss" in drum machines. Wierd bass efx can sometimes be obtained by incorporating a slow attack and a hi-thresh, producing an "oooooomph" type tone.

I've got a 3630 that I'll sell ya fer 50 bucks, it's been in my rack for about 3 years, and only been tracked thru twice! Hell, it's like new!!

:D

Last edited:
BLUE BEAR> but the gates on the DBX166xl's comps don't produce any clicks at all.... clean as a whistle......
---------------------------

Speaking of..... for anyone who cares...

I've heard the opposite about the DBX 266XL (the cheaper model than the 166).... I've read that the gate clicks like mad, especially if you pump low frequency into it like a bass guitar or low frequency synthesizer music.... I was just at Harmony Central reading the reviews (very cool web site foir reviews if any of you have not checked it out)..... and the 266 review was very unfavorable in that particular respect. Just thought I'd mention that in passing, in case anyone here was considering purchasing one.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/dbx/266XL_Dual_Compressor_Gate-01.html

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/

I'd buy your 3630

if it has the ac adapter I'll buy it for 50 or 20 and a ham sammich!Shipping to Oxford, Pa 19363

Rich Bishop

A ham sammich probably wouldn't be filling enough, but if yer willin' to do fitty an spring for a cheeze -n- beefy roast sangwedge we got a deal!

Shipping would be about 10 bucks from CT.

Strryder said:
A ham sammich probably wouldn't be filling enough, but if yer willin' to do fitty an spring for a cheeze -n- beefy roast sangwedge we got a deal!

Shipping would be about 10 bucks from CT.

Is paypal OK? If so, whats your paypal email addy?

Back