monitors for MD-4

DLockwood

Howdo:
I'm looking for advice on monitoring set-ups for my MD-4. For several months now I've been trying to mix down using my headphones...that explains why I'm still trying to mix down. I've been looking at the different types of monitors and power amps. Some of the models are self powered. Well what I'm looking for is something that is suitable to the yamaha md-4, yet simple and within budget of my still growing home studio. I've seen several nice monitor set ups made by Alesis (these were in the Spring 2000 musicians friend catalog p.124). I thought about the monitor one speakers with the RA-100 power amp... or even the point seven shielded reference monitors with the RA-100 power amp. The price seems about right but I'm not really sure if this is what I need. Does Alesis have a website I can check out? Any help on this would be appreciated... til next time,
DL

Tanks for the website TR:, I believe the Alesis monitor one w/RA-100 power amp is the logical choice for the MD-4... Any opinions?
Also I'm for looking prices. So far I believe musicians friend has about the cheapest so far. (about $550) for the entire set-up... Tanks again,
DL

Hello bball:
I believe your choice of monitor depends on the application and of course your budget. (I hate using the 'B' word). I not sure about the monitors you speak of; but I will say the Alesis Monitor One w/ the RA-100 power amp package ($500. Musicians Friend), is real nice set-up. They also have the Alesis M1 powered monitors for the same price. The RA-100 will give you a bit more independence when space is a consideration. You can also use the power amp for other applications. good luck.
DL.

Hey DL,
All of your points have been noted. I agree that the alesis set up could be more versatile and am now leaning in favor of it. To clarify my previous post, I was referring to Yamaha model msp5, price given is for single speaker.

bball, I know from past experience that Yamaha is a quality name in musical gear. I was just checking out the Msp5's. Musician's Friend also carries a line of these monitors. (about $230 ea). Although the price is within reason the watts per speaker is a bit low (40w). If your trying to push the envelope of your sound, I would recommend speakers with at least 100w of power per speaker. Now bball, I really don't know your application; so what I describe may not be what your looking for. But I will say I have yet to be disappointed by anything yamaha makes. take care. til next time
DL:-)

Back