Midiverb II

Capp

Hi everyone, I'm the new guy here. I play gospel music in my church and sing with my daughter. We used to play country for years in a band. I've got two nice sounding Takamines with a Strawberry blond amp. I also got a 1959 Gretsch Tennessean for some lead work with a not so good Laney amp.
My question is a friend I played with in the band gave me his Midi verb II, but I can't seem to get it to work with my Strawberry blond. I've tried everything I know, but I must be hooking it up wrong. I now wish I had payed more attention to our gear guy when I was playing.
I've looked for 2 days on here to see if someone else had this problem, but I can't seem to find a thread on this, if this is a repeat question please forgive me.
Capp

Hi everyone, I'm the new guy here. I play gospel music in my church and sing with my daughter. We used to play country for years in a band. I've got two nice sounding Takamines with a Strawberry blond amp. I also got a 1959 Gretsch Tennessean for some lead work with a not so good Laney amp.
My question is a friend I played with in the band gave me his Midi verb II, but I can't seem to get it to work with my Strawberry blond. I've tried everything I know, but I must be hooking it up wrong. I now wish I had payed more attention to our gear guy when I was playing.
I've looked for 2 days on here to see if someone else had this problem, but I can't seem to find a thread on this, if this is a repeat question please forgive me.
Capp
you plug the guitar into the input and then the left/mono output goes into the amp.
Not much to it.
that unit is meant for a line input, not a guitar but it should work decently like that.

Thanks for the speedy reply Lt. Bob, I'll try that, my amp is at church right now, I'll get it Weds. night, and give it a go.
Thanks again
Capp

Hey Lt. Bob, I plugged everything up per your instructions and I can't get any sound. It lights up, and I run through all the different sounds and nothing. On the back of my Strawberry Blonde I have a---effects return, and a effects send, both have 1/4 plugs, what are these for? It didn't come with a power supply, I went to Radio Shack and bought one it's says 9V 300mA. I know the 9V is right but don't know about the 300mA? It lights up like it supposed to, but I don't get any sound. Am I doing something wrong? All my cables are good I checked that aspect to the problem. Any other things I can do?

I had a similar unit (one of many) and it was DOA, too. It happens, chances are that unless you can fix it yourself, it's not worth repair costs.

But, it may be your PS. According to this thread
https://homerecording.com/bbs/user-forums-brand/alesis-forum/alesis-midiverb-2-a-282464/
it needs 9 volts and 850mA. I have learned, the amperage is as important as the voltage. I'd try that, first. You can find HUNDREDS of wall warts at almost any second-hand store, just read the specs printed on them all.

But doesn't the Strawberry Blond amp have it's own, built-in reverb? Yep, just checked, it does- spring reverb at that, not digital. Also, most church sanctuaries have too much natural reverb, already. Why would you want MORE?

Hey Lt. Bob, I plugged everything up per your instructions and I can't get any sound. It lights up, and I run through all the different sounds and nothing. On the back of my Strawberry Blonde I have a---effects return, and a effects send, both have 1/4 plugs, what are these for? It didn't come with a power supply, I went to Radio Shack and bought one it's says 9V 300mA. I know the 9V is right but don't know about the 300mA? It lights up like it supposed to, but I don't get any sound. Am I doing something wrong? All my cables are good I checked that aspect to the problem. Any other things I can do?
well .... as stevieb mentions .... it needs more than 300ma .... also, and this is important, it needs 9VAC .... it needs to be AC and NOT DC. If the power supply you're using says 9vdc .... then it won't work. Fortunately ..... running DC (if you have) into an AC unit usually won't damage anything. The reverse isn't usually true so you're lucky there. You probably haven't harmed it if you have used DC. But check and make sure it's a power supply that puts out 9 V AC.

As for the effects return ..... that'd probably be the best way for you to use it with that amp. You would run a cable from the amps' effect send to the input of the Midiverb and you would run the output of the Midiverb to the amps' effect return. I believe the Left channel is also labeled 'mono' on that unit so use that one. There's probably an effects control on the amp that'll have to be turned up. You want to be sure you don't turn it up so high that it's peaking the midiverb. And, of course, the Midiverb has its' own input control.

Thanks Stevib, and Lt Bob, I know I should use an AC power supply, and the one I have is 9VAC, only the milliamps is to low. I'll order one tomorrow, and some short cables to hook it up through the effects send on the back of the amp.
You're spot on about the reverb, I don't actually need any more of that, I was wanting to see how the Chorus would sound, and just play with it a little to see what I can come up with. Actually I have a Gretsch 6119 Tennessean electric, and a old Laney amp I've had for years, I was hoping the midiverb would help the Gretsch sound better.

Back