Masterlink hard disk drive upgrade

Hello All, I am attempting to follow the instructions provided by Skippy at the top of this thread on the ML-9600 I have. I purchased two Seagate ST340810A 5400rpm 40Gb from a store online for only $25. I did set the jumper on the drive to the "1-2" position to ensure the drive was limited to 32GB only, but there was no other jumper to use, so the jumper used to be on positions "5-6" and that position is not connected right now. I removed the old hard drive from ML-9600, and put the new one in, and did well except those "7/32" nuts would not be tightened properly by that 7/32 nut driver -it was enough to get them off, but not enough to tighten them again. I did manage to hand tighten two of them so I think it will stay ok.

I put in all back together again, and powered it up, and I got "HD error 178". I tried the instructions for loading a new version of the masterlink OS which I had on CD, but was not inserted yet, and I can't get the CD drive to open, and I get the device to do much of anything except reboot and give the error "system error 178". help! I can take it apart and put the old drive back in, but I'm hoping for a way to load the OS back on this new hard drive and make it work..

1) do I need another jumper to leave the jumper where it was (5-6) in addition to the jumper at pos (1-2) to limit the drive to 32GB?

2) How can I get the CD drive to eject when it doesn't have an OS? shoot, I wish I had put the CD with OS 3.03 that I had ready into the drive before I shut it down to take it apart...

any other ideas are welcome..

Hello. Just joined this forum. I replaced my hard drive in my Masterlink after it crashed two songs from ending the night on a club gig about 4 years ago. Don't remember all the moves in replacing it that Skippy pointed out here, but it was four years ago. The replacement hard drive did well for all this time now, except for a worrysome problem at present - I had bad CD-Rs in the past and you can get them in a stack of 25 or more of newly purchased ones. The last three CD-Rs were unsuccessful when trying to burn only 14 songs from a playlist. And they were from two different manufacturers - one was an off brand name, the other was Maxell. Two failures (Redbook format) happened at the 3rd track, the other (CD24 format) rendered all the way through the 14th and final track, then ejected, showing a TOC writing error, HDCD will reset. To me, this cannot be a CD-R problem, but a hard drive or software problem. What's next? Another crash? With spring gigs coming up, I can only pray that won't happen. Maybe time for another hard drive replacement and/or an upgrade (from v 2.21 to v 3.03?) Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Master link hard drive upgrade completed - two jumpers required

Hello again. I got it working last night. The steps needed are:
1) insert your CD-R with the Masterlink OS upgrade on it into the CD drive BEFORE powering off and replacing the hard drive. It's ok to shut it off before you answer "yes" to reload the OS on your current hard drive.
2) make sure there are TWO jumpers on the drive - one in position 1-2 to limit size to 32GB, AND one in position 7-8 to mark it as a "master/single drive".
Once I did that, and powered it up, (holding the HDCD button and the Utility button down at the same time power is applied) the masterlink asked me to load the OS, formatted the drive, and I'm a happy camper with 51 hours of free space!

Thanks everyone!

Hello All, I am attempting to follow the instructions provided by Skippy at the top of this thread on the ML-9600 I have. I purchased two Seagate ST340810A 5400rpm 40Gb from a store online for only $25. I did set the jumper on the drive to the "1-2" position to ensure the drive was limited to 32GB only, but there was no other jumper to use, so the jumper used to be on positions "5-6" and that position is not connected right now. I removed the old hard drive from ML-9600, and put the new one in, and did well except those "7/32" nuts would not be tightened properly by that 7/32 nut driver -it was enough to get them off, but not enough to tighten them again. I did manage to hand tighten two of them so I think it will stay ok.

I put in all back together again, and powered it up, and I got "HD error 178". I tried the instructions for loading a new version of the masterlink OS which I had on CD, but was not inserted yet, and I can't get the CD drive to open, and I get the device to do much of anything except reboot and give the error "system error 178". help! I can take it apart and put the old drive back in, but I'm hoping for a way to load the OS back on this new hard drive and make it work..

1) do I need another jumper to leave the jumper where it was (5-6) in addition to the jumper at pos (1-2) to limit the drive to 32GB?

2) How can I get the CD drive to eject when it doesn't have an OS? shoot, I wish I had put the CD with OS 3.03 that I had ready into the drive before I shut it down to take it apart...

any other ideas are welcome..

Back